Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 18
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    Hi,

    I am reading an article from Reader Digest. It is about an interview with Sonia Sotomayer (SS) , who is the justice of Highest Court of the USA. Here's the snippet.

    Journalist: You have to do an awful lot of reading and writing as part of your job. Are you an early riser?

    SS: No, I am a New Yorker. [Laughs] Justice [Ruth Bader] Ginsburg is our night owl
    - Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    - Is Sonia Sotomayer a household name in the USA?

    Many thanks!

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheers100 View Post
    Hi,

    I am reading an article from Reader Digest. It is about an interview with Sonia Sotomayer (SS) , who is the justice of Highest Court of the USA. Here's the snippet.



    - Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    - Is Sonia Sotomayer a household name in the USA?

    Many thanks!
    Well, New Yorkers don't get up as early as farmers, but commuters in New York have to get up early.

    I wouldn't say that Justice Sotomayor is particularly well known.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,818
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Well, New Yorkers don't get up as early as farmers, but commuters in New York have to get up early.

    I wouldn't say that Justice Sotomayor is particularly well known.
    As one of 9 justices on the Supreme Court, she's well known to anyone who follows politics. But that is a small subset of the population.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,884
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    Sadly, most Americans can name more Kardashians than they can Supreme Court Justices.

    I don't know what she meant by being a New Yorker, though. Perhaps the idea is that they are "night owls" and stay out late, so they are no up very early. But honestly, I don't get that reference.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,818
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Sadly, most Americans can name more Kardashians than they can Supreme Court Justices.

    I don't know what she meant by being a New Yorker, though. Perhaps the idea is that they are "night owls" and stay out late, so they are no up very early. But honestly, I don't get that reference.
    If she hadn't followed up with the comment about Ginsburg, I would not be sure what she was trying to say.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 52,337
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    If she hadn't followed up with the comment about Ginsburg, I would not be sure what she was trying to say.
    I find it very strange. She doesn't get up early and she's not a night owl like Justice Ginsburg; she's a New Yorker. Does this mean she never sleeps?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,818
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

    They do call New York the city that never sleeps.

    But I think Mike's explanation is best.

Similar Threads

  1. Sentence from article in NEW YORKER
    By Gamma Ray in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2013, 12:16
  2. My family is an early riser?
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2011, 00:40
  3. what does it imply?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2008, 12:39
  4. Took him with a back wall riser shot.
    By egcarneiro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2007, 12:07
  5. inhabitant from New York = New Yorker?
    By ieasy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-May-2006, 03:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •