Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheers100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I am reading an article from Reader Digest. It is about an interview with Sonia Sotomayer (SS) , who is the justice of Highest Court of the USA. Here's the snippet.

Journalist: You have to do an awful lot of reading and writing as part of your job. Are you an early riser?

SS: No, I am a New Yorker. [Laughs] Justice [Ruth Bader] Ginsburg is our night owl

- Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

- Is Sonia Sotomayer a household name in the USA?

Many thanks!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I am reading an article from Reader Digest. It is about an interview with Sonia Sotomayer (SS) , who is the justice of Highest Court of the USA. Here's the snippet.

- Does a New Yorker imply who is a late riser?

- Is Sonia Sotomayer a household name in the USA?

Many thanks!

Well, New Yorkers don't get up as early as farmers, but commuters in New York have to get up early.

I wouldn't say that Justice Sotomayor is particularly well known.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, New Yorkers don't get up as early as farmers, but commuters in New York have to get up early.

I wouldn't say that Justice Sotomayor is particularly well known.

As one of 9 justices on the Supreme Court, she's well known to anyone who follows politics. But that is a small subset of the population.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sadly, most Americans can name more Kardashians than they can Supreme Court Justices.

I don't know what she meant by being a New Yorker, though. Perhaps the idea is that they are "night owls" and stay out late, so they are no up very early. But honestly, I don't get that reference.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sadly, most Americans can name more Kardashians than they can Supreme Court Justices.

I don't know what she meant by being a New Yorker, though. Perhaps the idea is that they are "night owls" and stay out late, so they are no up very early. But honestly, I don't get that reference.

If she hadn't followed up with the comment about Ginsburg, I would not be sure what she was trying to say.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If she hadn't followed up with the comment about Ginsburg, I would not be sure what she was trying to say.

I find it very strange. She doesn't get up early and she's not a night owl like Justice Ginsburg; she's a New Yorker. Does this mean she never sleeps?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They do call New York the city that never sleeps.

But I think Mike's explanation is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.