[Vocabulary] Which is more common "wood" or "woods"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naweewra

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Hello,

In the dictionary I checked, it says that both the singular "wood" and the plural "woods" can be used to refer to a "forest". I'm just wondering which is more common. Is it a BE VS AE thing?

And is the wood(s) the same as the forest?

Thank you.

Nawee

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Woods" is used in AmE.

A "forest" is much bigger. See the "synonyms" section here:

Forest | Define Forest at Dictionary.com
This may be regional, but as a young man I worked as a logger (sometimes called a lumberjack) in the states of Oregon and Washington. We would cut down trees, haul them to a landing site, and load trucks with logs which went to a mill. We would call any area in which we worked "the woods". Sometimes we would have contracts near towns and sometimes the contracts were in large state and federal forests. Where we worked made no difference. We would always say that we were going to the woods to work. This carried through to recreational activities. If I was going to go fishing in a stream or a lake I would say that I'm going to the woods today.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can agree with that. I was thinking more of place names than use in casual speech. I, too, would speak about going out in the woods.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We've discussed this before but I can't find the thread.

In BE we also say 'There's a wood behind my house'.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This may be regional, but as a young man I worked as a logger (sometimes called a lumberjack) in the states of Oregon and Washington. We would cut down trees, haul them to a landing site, and load trucks with logs which went to a mill. We would call any area in which we worked "the woods". Sometimes we would have contracts near towns and sometimes the contracts were in large state and federal forests. Where we worked made no difference. We would always say that we were going to the woods to work. This carried through to recreational activities. If I was going to go fishing in a stream or a lake I would say that I'm going to the woods today.

I'm so sorry for disupting this thread, but I'd love to know what the difference is between a logger and a lumberjack. Genuine question.
And I really want to know if I'm the only one wondering if you dress in women's clothing and have buttered scones for tea? Not a genuine question. Well, actually, I'm genuinesly asking if anyone else thought this way, but I don't really wonder about the scones. Or the clothing. Either way, I know you're okay!

panglossa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
As well as the size difference, I would say we use 'forest' rather than 'wood(s)' for areas planted with trees by humans. 'Woods' are normally natural.

panglossa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
I'm so sorry for disupting this thread, but I'd love to know what the difference is between a logger and a lumberjack. Genuine question.
And I really want to know if I'm the only one wondering if you dress in women's clothing and have buttered scones for tea? Not a genuine question. Well, actually, I'm genuinesly asking if anyone else thought this way, but I don't really wonder about the scones. Or the clothing. Either way, I know you're okay!

Just a guess, but a logger, I suppose, could be anyone who works with logs, including operating machinery in a sawmill, whereas a lumberjack would probably be someone who goes out there and actually chops the trees down...(or, if you believe Monty Python, puts on women's clothes and hangs around in bars :lol:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As well as the size difference, I would say we use 'forest' rather than 'wood(s)' for areas planted with trees by humans. 'Woods' are normally natural.
Forests can be planted by humans and woods generally aren't, but I do not think of this as a natural distinction, Until comparatively recent times, much of England was covered by natural forests, and there are still many natural tropical rain forests in the world.

panglossa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Forests can be planted by humans and woods generally aren't,

This was precisely the point I was making. Of course, I never suggested that forests were usually not naturally growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.