• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Question Question time

Hi everyone. I watched some promo video on YouTube for an American TV show and at the end of it it said 11:30/10:30c. I'm from Russia so I was wondering what does "c" stands for? Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Question time

Quote Originally Posted by aristides View Post
    Hi everyone. I watched some promo video on YouTube for an American TV show and at the end of it it said 11:30/10:30c. I'm from Russia so I was wondering what does "c" stands for? Thanks!
    I believe the "C" is for "Central Time Zone". There are several time zones in the US so a program that is on at 11.30 on the east coast will be shown at a different time on the west coast, or in central North America, even though the broadcast is sent to all the areas at the same time.

The program in question was saying that the show would be on at 11.30 on whatever channel you were watching, therefore it will be on at 10.30 Central Time.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I believe the "C" is for "Central Time Zone". There are several time zones in the US so a program that is on at 11.30 on the east coast will be shown at a different time on the west coast, or in central North America, even though the broadcast is sent to all the areas at the same time.

The program in question was saying that the show would be on at 11.30 on whatever channel you were watching, therefore it will be on at 10.30 Central Time.
    Yes, it refers to Central Time. The contiguous US has 4 times zones. The television networks generally have 2 satellite feeds, one for the east and one for the west. The west coast feed is 3 hours behind the east coast one.

So, a TV show that is on at 8 PM Eastern is also watched, simultaneously, at 7 PM Central. Both time zones use the east feed.

In the Pacific time zone, they also watch the show at 8 PM Pacific, on the west coast feed. That would be 11 PM Eastern.

Live sports and other such events are carried live. So a football game that starts at 1 PM Eastern is seen live at 10 AM Pacific.

3. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you guys for your comprehensive answers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Your appreciation is welcome, aristides, but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.