• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

look over vs go over

- This is a very complex computer program. You might need to ............... the instructions again before you get the hang of it.

In this sentence I have to put the correct verb, but I do not have any suggestions...I was thinking about "look over", which means "to examine", but a friend of mine, has written "go over"...which means "to examine" too...what do you think about it? Do you think they both can go?
    I checked them in the dictionary and it says they both could mean "to examine".

Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: look over vs go over

Do they have to be phrasal verbs? I was thinking just "read" or "read through" maybe "review."

Either "go over" or "look over" would work.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

They should be phrasal verbs...but the question is this: do they both mean "examine"? does a native speaker use them in every context when he/she wants to mean "examine"? Can they always replace "examine" in every context?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Look over" seems more cursory to me than "go over" but it would be a bad test question if one were marked right and one were marked wrong.

"Look over" feels more like a quick review, while "go over" feels more intense.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.