Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 1,093
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    I don't care + preposition.

    Hello.

    I use this expression every day, but I'm not sure which preposition I should use.

    I say "I don't care" + "about", but I think it's wrong. I really don't know what to use: for, about, of. I even think that we can use that expression without any preposition.

    Can you shed a little light on my problem?

    Thanks in advance.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

    Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2010
    • Posts: 1,696
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: I don't care + preposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    Hello.

    I use this expression every day, but I'm not sure which preposition I should use.

    I say "I don't care" + "about", but I think it's wrong. I really don't know what to use: for, about, of. I even think that we can use that expression without any preposition.

    Can you shed a little light on my problem?

    Thanks in advance.
    I don't care about the pay - Correct
    I don't care for the paint color - Correct
    I don't care of the paint color - Incorrect

    I don't care - Acceptable but there is no indication of the subject matter. It could be used in response to a comment - "What do you think about this color? I don't care."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 57
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: I don't care + preposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    I don't care about the pay - Correct
    I don't care for the paint color - Correct
    I don't care of the paint color - Incorrect

    I don't care - Acceptable but there is no indication of the subject matter. It could be used in response to a comment - "What do you think about this color? I don't care."
    What does the sentence in bold mean?

    Does it mean:
    a. You don't like the colour of the paint
    b. You don't mind what colour of paint is (or will be) used.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: I don't care + preposition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Masood_S View Post
    What does the sentence in bold mean?

    Does it mean:
    a. You don't like the colour of the paint
    b. You don't mind what colour of paint is (or will be) used.
    "Don't care for" = "don't like".
    "Don't care about" = indifferent = don't mind what colour of paint is (or will be) used.

Similar Threads

  1. I don't care
    By jasonlulu_2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2012, 15:03
  2. I don't care / I don't mind / it doesn't matter
    By Verona_82 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2011, 13:11
  3. don't care/ whether
    By nyota in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2009, 18:00
  4. I don't care
    By supada in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2008, 10:01
  5. Now, l donít care at all
    By pretty boy in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2007, 00:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •