• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

see!

this is a oral dialogue situation:

selphie want me to get changed and go with her for a party.

[If you want go out]

Selphie
    "See! See!"

Selphie
    "Gotta get changed for that PAAH-TAY!
    SeeD uniform, here we go!"

the phrase "see!" seems like "hey!", but I can't find it in any dictionary.
    please tell me the meaning of this phrase and recommend a dictionary that can be used to look up this kind of words, thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: see!

Quote Originally Posted by preachers View Post
    This is an oral dialogue situation:

Selphie wants/wanted me to get changed and go with her for to a party.

[If you want go out] I don't know what this part means. Is it part of the dialogue or part of your question?

Selphie: "See! See!"

Selphie: "Gotta get changed for that PAAH-TAY!
    SeeD uniform, here we go!" I have no idea what "SeeD" means here. The word "Seed" does not have a capital letter at the end and it makes no sense here. Did she say "See da/de/dee uniform" where "da/de/dee" is a sort of slang version of "the"?

The phrase word "See!" seems like "Hey!", but I can't find it in any dictionary.
    Please tell me the meaning of this phrase word and recommend a dictionary that can be used to look up this kind of words word, thanks!
    Welcome to the forum.

First, please look at the amendments I have made to your post and remember to follow the rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I".
    - Capitalise all proper nouns.
    - Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

As far as your question is concerned, I have no idea why Selphie shouted "See! See!" There might be more clue in the rest of the context but this short fragment of dialogue and the fact that she wants to know if the other person wants to go to a party isn't really any help.

Where did you find this dialogue? If it's from a book, film or TV series etc, please quote your source.

Sometimes you can find definitions for unusual usages in online resources such as the Urban Dictionary. In this case, however, I can't find any dictionary that gives "See" as a version of "Hey".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Woo!!!! It's a perfect answer I've ever seen! So comprehensive and so detailed!!! Thank you very much!

Actually, you made me so nervous to write this reply due to my poor English :( I'll try my best to make less mistakes.

This clue is part of the game "Final Fantasy VIII", I'm using this game to learn English by myself, it's really a tough one for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2222.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	1713
    Here is the game script: http://www.icybrian.com/fanficresource/ff8d1script.txt
    You could use the search function to find this section.

A brief description would be like this: 1. Selphine comes find me (Squall), she tells me to get changed and go with her to a party. She is waiting for me. But if I just ignore her and want to leave the room, she will stop me and say "See! See!
    Gotta get changed for that PAAH-TAY!
    SeeD uniform, here we go!
    2.SeeD in this game is a proper noun, it's the name of a mercenary force.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 12-Jan-2014 at 11:22. Reason: Confusing links and repeated quotes

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thanks for the explanation. (Don't panic about your replies not showing up. You are a new user and you posted links so your post went into moderation to be cleared before going public. I have now cleared it.)

The screen shot you posted was sufficient. You didn't need to post the link to the script for the entire game which runs to thousands of pages! We can't trawl through all of that. I have to say that even knowing the context, I can't really understand why the writers made Selphine say "See! See!" unless she is simply saying "Do you see what I mean? We have to get changed for the party". That isn't clear from the dialogue. I think it probably makes more sense when you're seeing the visuals that go with it (please don't try to post game visuals here).

To be honest, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think computer game writers are particularly bothered about grammar or language when giving their characters dialogue.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by preachers View Post
    I'm using this game to learn English by myself,
    I recommend that you do not try to use that game, or any game, if you wish to learn standard English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thanks for your answer, so this kind of usage for the word "See" is rare, right?

Like what you said, I can understand the meaning of what she said by seeing the visuals, I just can't confirm if it's right or not and is it popularly used by the English-speaking world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I study English for fun and vice-versa I play games for studying English. Beside that, it's a efficient way of learning English because of those visuals. So I can remember a word within a sentence then remember the sentence with the visual it is said. Learning like this is hard to forget! This is how I using a game for English studying.
    It's no use speaking English in my daily life in my country.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I think she might be saying it to announce that she is in charge and you should go back to putting your uniform on.