Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 1,099
    #1

    an English-English translator

    Hello.

    I started to use an English-English translator (I don't know how to call it).
    Do you think it's better than an English-mother tongue translator?

    I'm asking it because I'm translating Gulliver's Travels and my brain is about to blow.

    I suppose you're teachers and you know what's better.
    Thanks.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

    Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,912
    #2

    Re: an English-English translator

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    Hello.

    I started to use an English-English translator (I don't know how to call it).
    Do you think it's better than an English-mother tongue translator?

    I'm asking it because I'm translating Gulliver's Travels and my brain is about to blow.

    I suppose you're teachers and you know what's better.
    Thanks.
    I don't know what to call it either. Why would you need to translate from English to English? That doesn't make sense.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. Boris Tatarenko's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Posts: 1,099
    #3

    Re: an English-English translator

    Yep, I'm completely drunk (not literally).

    I mean I have a translator that translates from English to English.

    For instance:

    I don't know what bridle is. I look up and read: Headgear for a horse; includes a headstall and bit and reins to give the rider or driver control.
    Do you understand?

    I found this advice in one video on Youtube. One teacher suggested it. Now I want to know your opinion.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

    Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,912
    #4

    Re: an English-English translator

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    Yep, I'm completely drunk (not literally).

    I mean I have a translator that translates from English to English.

    For instance:

    I don't know what bridle is. I look up and read: Headgear for a horse; includes a headstall and bit and reins to give the rider or driver control.
    Do you understand?

    I found this advice in one video on Youtube. One teacher suggested it. Now I want to know your opinion.
    That's a dictionary.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,912
    #5

    Re: an English-English translator

    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Tatarenko View Post
    I found this advice in one video on Youtube.
    Could you share the link?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 62
    #6

    Re: an English-English translator

    I think it is called a monolingual dictionary. It's a lot better to use it like that you avoid translation into your native language. which is not recommended while learning a new language.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,514
    #7

    Re: an English-English translator

    Quote Originally Posted by mihallure View Post
    I think it is called a monolingual dictionary. It's a lot better to use one like that to avoid translation into your native language, which is not recommended while learning a new language.
    mihallure, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

    You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. .

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 62
    #8

    Re: an English-English translator

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    mihallure, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

    You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. .

    Ok, I apologize for my mistake. It will not happen again.

Similar Threads

  1. [Tdol's Blog] English Teacher X Guide To Teaching English Abroad
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2012, 16:20
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2012, 03:38
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2010, 08:33
  4. translator hindi to english
    By mayank_verma in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2010, 13:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •