[General] WANTED! The perfect word to complete the opening statement of a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Say_No

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A WOMAN’S MOST PRIZED POSSESSION IS HER ______________!

I require the perfect word to complete that statement. I want to impart on the reader that an individual’s most personal space. . . (literally the body itself as well as emotional distance) is inviolable. I want the statement to scream that a woman’s body is sacrosanct and that she is the only one to decide who will trespass there.

My book, “No Means No” forwards the premise that women need not become the victims of “Date Rape”.

Words that I have discounted are – VIRTUE – INDEPENDENCE – BODY.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Sincerely,
Adam Beh

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would stick with "body". It is, after all, the central point of your entire book. I'm not sure I would describe anyone's body as their "prized possession" though.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As this is not strictly a language question, I'll put in my male opinion - Self respect.

Incidentally, Just_Say_No, I notice that you sign your post 'Adam', a name normally give to males. If you are a male who is giving advice to females in this area, you just may find that some females won't listen too sympathetically.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is also a bit of a problem with using "date rape" for this. Generally, that refers to people who are drugged while on a date and are then raped while they are groggy or unconscious. That really has nothing to do with a woman saying "No". With date rape, the woman is usually in no fit state to consent or not.

Also, you need to remember that the right to say "No" is valid not just on dates, but also within established relationships and marriage.

The right to say "No" is basically the prerogative of any human being who someone wants to have sex with.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Date rape" doesn't require being drunk or drugged in the US. It could be that that was the case, but it just means the victim knew her attacker and it occurred in a situation that started out with them being together by choice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it may be impossible to come up with a single word that fits perfectly for all women.

she is the only one to decide who will trespass there.

If she decides, it isn't trespass.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A WOMAN’S MOST PRIZED POSSESSION IS HER ______________!

I require the perfect word to complete that statement. I want to impart on the reader that an individual’s most personal space. . . (literally the body itself as well as emotional distance) is inviolable. I want the statement to scream that a woman’s body is sacrosanct and that she is the only one to decide who will trespass there.

My book, “No Means No” forwards the premise that women need not become the victims of “Date Rape”.

Words that I have discounted are – VIRTUE – INDEPENDENCE – BODY.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Sincerely,
Adam Beh

I think the reason that people are struggling to come up with the right word/words is the phrase "prized possession". Most of the things that fit your intent are not possessions. Perhaps you might try "fundamental right" or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.