Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
What do you call someone who is used to renting flats/apartments. He owns no house. I see no respect is shown for temporary residents. I am used to hearing a term from my neighbors which is very bad and I have no equivalent in English yet.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If he owns no houses himself, does he act as an agent for others?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
If he owns no houses himself, does he act as an agent for others?

No. When you have no house and live in a rented place, people have bad impression that you are from the deprived. As a result, they are not going to get anything in return such as influence, profitable company, rich friend, and so on and so forth. So, they start belittling you and do their best avoiding saying hello.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you call someone who is used to renting flats/apartments. He owns no house. I see no respect is shown for temporary residents. I am used to hearing a term from my neighbors which is very bad and I have no equivalent in English yet.

Renting houses/apartments in the US is a normal life choice for many. Some of these people own a summer home for investment purposes and choose to rent their home. One advantage is that one is not responsible for repairs/maintenance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you call someone who is used to renting flats/apartments. He owns no house. I

I did not realise that you meant that the person was a tenant. In Europe, as in America, many people choose to rent. I have done so myself for the last fifteen years. I do not know anybody who would look down on this choice. of lifestyle. Why should they?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We have the term couch/sofa surfer for someone who has nowhere to live and stays with friends, moving from one to another, but simply renting a home is not unusual, nor something to be looked down on.

Status
Not open for further replies.