I came across a difficult place in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeiA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi!
I came across a difficult place in the book I'm reading now. I don't fully understand the meaning of the paragraph.
But at first I would say that the book was written in 1774 and narrates about Patagonia.
The obscure paragraph tells about Carcarañá River (a river in present Argentina):

"... In this manner it takes it's course to the Cruzalta, where it is called Carcaranna, from it's many windings, and passes on, running from N. N. W. to S. S. E. till it enters the Parana, at the Rincon, or corner, of Gaboto, about eighteen leagues from Santa Fe."

What does it mean "... from it's many windings"? Why "from"?

Thank you in advance!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A river has to start somewhere. So it goes "from" there to its end.

SergeiA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for an answer.
But the river doesn't start at the place which is described in my question.
Here is the complete paragraph. And I marked the place that I cannot understand.

"The Rio Tercero, or Third River, the most considerable of them all, before it passed the mountains of Cordova (where it has a great fall) is increased by the accession of the rivers Champachin, Gonsales, Del Medio, Quillimsa, Cachu-Corat, La Cruz, Luti, and Del Sauce; but coming to the plains, part of which are very sandy, during a dry season it disappears under the ground, and breaks out again at some distance. In times of rain it increases very much, and brings down, in it's rapid current, great quantities of wood. It makes many windings, enclosing large fields. It's banks, for more than twenty leagues after it leaves the mountains, are full of high willow trees. The country through which it flows breeds excellent cattle, being fine pasture and corn land, and in some places produces melilot, and a kind of woody sarsaparilla. At the end of twenty leagues it grows salt, but is not so very bad as to be unfit from drinking. In this manner it takes it's course to the Cruzalta, where it is called Carcaranna, from it's many windings, and passes on, running from N. N. W. to S. S. E. till it enters the Parana, at the Rincon, or corner, of Gaboto, about eighteen leagues from Santa Fe."

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!
I came across a difficult place in the book I'm reading now. I don't fully understand the meaning of the paragraph.
But at first I would say that the book was written in 1774 and narrates about Patagonia.
The obscure paragraph tells about Carcarañá River (a river in present Argentina):

"... In this manner it takes it's course to the Cruzalta, where it is called Carcaranna, from it's many windings (I assume the name Carcaranna has something to do with the twists and turns which the river makes), and passes on, running from N. N. W. to S. S. E. till it enters the Parana, at the Rincon, or corner, of Gaboto, about eighteen leagues from Santa Fe."

What does it mean "... from it's many windings"? Why "from"?

Thank you in advance!
Gil

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Was this written by Darwin?

SergeiA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No, this is 'A Description of Patagonia and the Adjoining Parts of South America' by Thomas Falkner, S. J.

SergeiA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
(I assume the name Carcaranna has something to do with the twists and turns which the river makes)

Thank you very much!
I was thinking about this interpretation, but the only thing that I've found about the river's name was in Spanish:
"La denominación de este río deriva del nombre de una parcialidad de avás (guaraníes) que hacia el siglo XVI habitaban sus riberas."
Unfortunately I don't know Spanish, but I assume that the river got its name after the one Native American tribe, the branch of Guarani.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Think of it as its name comes from its many windings, and note that it should be its not [strike]it's many windings[/strike].

SergeiA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Think of it as its name comes from its many windings,

Thank you. You think the tribe's name 'Carcarañá' means something like meander?

and note that it should be its not [strike]it's many windings[/strike].

It was not my idea to write "it's" instead of "its" Here are screenshots of the origin.

picture1.jpg

picture2.jpg

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that a better title would have been ...from it's many windings (despite the incorrect apostrophe).

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

SergeiA