Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 126
    #1

    position of pronouns

    I have always been confused about the positions of pronouns in a sentence. For e.g-

    You , he and I will go together. is this sequence correct in case of negative and positive sentence?

    What about You, they and we?

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: position of pronouns

    Quote Originally Posted by sdpegasus View Post
    I have always been confused about the positions of pronouns in a sentence. For e.g-

    You , he and I will go together. is this sequence correct in case of negative and positive sentence?

    What about You, they and we?
    In your sentence, as long as "I" is last, it is OK. That is a matter of politeness more than one of grammar.

    In your second question, there is no reason for "you and "we". "You" is a part of "we".

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: position of pronouns

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    In your sentence, as long as "I" is last, it is OK. That is a matter of politeness more than one of grammar.
    In your second question, there is no reason for "you and "we". "You" is a part of "we".
    "You and we" is possible, if not common. If I am talking to a friend and his wife, I might say "You (my friend and his wife) and we (my wife and I) will go together".

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: position of pronouns

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    "You and we" is possible, if not common. If I am talking to a friend and his wife, I might say "You (my friend and his wife) and we (my wife and I) will go together".
    If I were talking to a friend and his wife and my wife, I would say "we". There is no reason to separate the people in a conversation.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: position of pronouns

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    If I were talking to a friend and his wife and my wife, I would say "we".
    So would I. I was merely pointing out that the other possibility exists. I did say it wasn't common.
    There is no reason to separate the people in a conversation.
    There's no reason for a lot of things we say.
    Last edited by Tdol; 19-Jan-2014 at 15:36. Reason: Fixing quote code

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #6

    Re: position of pronouns

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    "You and we" is possible, if not common. If I am talking to a friend and his wife, I might say "You (my friend and his wife) and we (my wife and I) will go together".
    It could be used, for instance, if the friend had originally said that just he and his wife would go.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] permanent full time position/temporary full time position
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2009, 22:37
  2. Pronouns
    By Mister Nutty in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-Jul-2008, 15:11
  3. Pronouns
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2008, 23:22
  4. pronouns
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2008, 00:49
  5. referential pronouns vs. dummy pronouns
    By inneedofhelp! in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2005, 04:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •