• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

take a leaf out of

I'm not sure what the following in red is saying, although I can translate it literally.

Your audience doesn't want just to read the news. They want the New Statesman to help change the world. How about we let them be part of it. Start an "upstanding journalism" scheme. Take a leaf out of the crowdfunding book. Make it possible for people to contribute to a fund that directly goes to fund investigative journalism. It might dig into the expenses of elected officials. ... It will live by William Randolph Hearst's dictum that the news is what people don't want you to print, and everything else is just advertising.

Does the second sentence mean "there is something (particular articles) that newspapers want to print, but that's not what people want to read or hear. In other words, that's not news. The news is what newspapers don't like to print or what they want to conceal."?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: take a leaf out of

take a leaf out of somebody’s book means to copy the way someone else behaves because you want to be like them or be as successful as they are.
    crowdfunding: the practice of funding a project or venture by raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, typically via the Internet:

crowdfunding: definition of crowdfunding in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Is my interpretation of the second sentence correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    I'm not sure what the following in red is saying, although I can translate it literally.

Your audience doesn't want just to read the news. They want the New Statesman to help change the world. How about we let them be part of it. Start an "upstanding journalism" scheme. Take a leaf out of the crowdfunding book. Make it possible for people to contribute to a fund that directly goes to fund investigative journalism. It might dig into the expenses of elected officials. ... It will live by William Randolph Hearst's dictum that the news is what people don't want you to print, and everything else is just advertising.

Does the second sentence mean "there is something (particular articles) that newspapers want to print, but that's not what people want to read or hear. In other words, that's not news. The news is what newspapers don't like to print or what they want to conceal."?
    No. News is what certain people don't want published. If, for example, an elected official has taken bribes, that is news that the offical doesn't want people to know about. Taken in a larger context, news is the reporting of that which is unusual. It is said that a story of a dog biting a man is not news (it is common), but a story of a man biting a dog is news (it is uncommon).

Thank you.
    Gil