• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

alt-TV

I'm not sure what the following in red means. And what is 'alt-TV' and what does 'substantial mainstream' refer to?

Like pop music, television today is multifarious and factional, and with the expansion of cable and cable's leap into original production, it has acquired something like an 'indie' or alt-TV component to complement its still substantial mainstream.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: alt-TV

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    I'm not sure what the following in red means. And what is 'alt-TV' and what does 'substantial mainstream' refer to?

Like pop music, television today is multifarious and factional, and with the expansion of cable and cable's leap into original production, it has acquired something like an 'indie' or alt-TV component to complement its still substantial mainstream.

Thank you.
    I imagine it's short for "alternative TV".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: alt-TV

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post

Thank you.
    "Substantial mainstream" refers to regular television offerings (the majority), as opposed to this new alternative television programming.