• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Parts of speech

In the sentence "He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes'"

Is it correct to say the pronoun 'he" is the subject, the verb "envisioned" is the predicate and "sitting" is the object, this object being modified by the prepositional phrase "in Athens cafes'"

For some reason I can't shake the thought of a word "sitting" being anything besides a verb and the prepositional phrase acting as an adverb phrase
    Last edited by Tone dog; 20-Jan-2014 at 20:34.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Parts of speech

Quote Originally Posted by Tone dog View Post
    In the sentence "he envisioned sitting in Athens cafes'"

is it correct to say the pronoun 'he" is the subject, the verb "envisioned" is the predicate and "sitting" is the object with this object being modified by the prepositional phrase "in Athens cafes'"

for some reason I can't shake the thought of a word like sitting being anything besides a verb and the prepositional phrase acting as an adverb

please advise

thanks
    Please review the capitalisation and punctuation in your post.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

In the sentence, "He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes'"

Is it correct to say the pronoun 'He" is the subject, the verb "envisioned" the predicate and "sitting" the object, the object being modified by the prepositional phrase "in Athens cafes'"

For some reason I can't shake the thought that "sitting" is anything besides a verb and the prepositional phrase acts as an adverb phrase

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

The predicate is what is said about the subject. Everything after 'He' is the predicate.

He did not envision sitting. He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes, so this phrase is the object of the verb.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I've always thought the predicate was just the verb but this clarifies it.

Suppose I add the following phrase and it becomes, "He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes, sipping ouzo, tearing open warm butter-glazed rolls and dipping these ambrosial morsels into balsamic-vinegar emulsions."

Do I consider the additions all modifiers of "envisioned"? Four modifiers?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In the sentence "He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes'"

Is it correct to say the pronoun 'he" is the subject, the verb "envisioned" is the predicate and "sitting" is the object, this object being modified by the prepositional phrase "in Athens cafes'"

For some reason I can't shake the thought of a word "sitting" being anything besides a verb and the prepositional phrase acting as an adverb phrase
    Terminology is often the main problem in language discussions. The entire "predicate", as 5jj said, is "envsioned sitting in Athens cafes". When we break down the "predicate", we have the main verb (envisioned) followed by a noun phrase which is the direct object of the verb. When we break down the noun phrase, we have a gerund-noun (sitting) followed by an adverbial prepositional phrase (gerunds can take adverbs as modifiers). If we then break down the prepositional phrase, we have a preposition (in) followed by another noun phrase that acts as the object of the preposition.

If you just want "parts of speech", the sentence is pronoun-verb-noun-preposition-(noun acting as)adjective-noun.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Thanks that's a perfect elaboration!

So lets see if I'm making learning progress.

If I say the following "He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes, sipping ouzo, tearing open warm butter-glazed rolls and dipping these ambrosial morsels into balsamic-vinegar emulsions."

Am I correct in calling "sipping ouzo" a noun phrase (the object of the verb envisioned) with "sipping" being a gerund and "ouzo" a noun; "tearing open warm butter-glazed rolls" a noun phrase (the object of the verb envisioned) with "tearing" being a gerund, "open" a preposition, "warm" an adjective, "butter-glazed" an adjective, "rolls" a noun; "and dipping these ambrosial morsels into balsamic-vinegar emulsions." a noun phrase (the object of the verb envisioned) with "and" a conjunction, "dipping" a gerund, "these" an adjective, "ambrosial" an adjective, "morsels" a noun, "into" a preposition, "balsamic-vinegar" an adjective, "emulsions" a noun?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks that's a perfect elaboration!

So lets see if I'm making learning progress.

If I say the following "He envisioned sitting in Athens cafes, sipping ouzo, tearing open warm butter-glazed rolls and dipping these ambrosial morsels into balsamic-vinegar emulsions."

Am I correct in calling "sipping ouzo" a noun phrase (the object of the verb envisioned) with "sipping" being a gerund and "ouzo" a noun; "tearing open warm butter-glazed rolls" a noun phrase (the object of the verb envisioned) with "tearing" being a gerund, "open" a preposition, "warm" an adjective, "butter-glazed" an adjective, "rolls" a noun; "and dipping these ambrosial morsels into balsamic-vinegar emulsions." a noun phrase (the object of the verb envisioned) with "and" a conjunction, "dipping" a gerund, "these" an adjective, "ambrosial" an adjective, "morsels" a noun, "into" a preposition, "balsamic-vinegar" an adjective, "emulsions" a noun?
    One could say that he "envisioned" all of those actions.