Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

"In the present work we will focus our attention on radio monitoring by means of digital filter banks (in further text – filter banks)"

The intended meaning of the phrase "in further text" is that in the rest of my paper I'm going to use "filter banks" instead of "digital filter banks" to make sentences shorter. Is the phrase in bold correct for a technical paper?

Thanks

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

"In the present work we will focus our attention on radio monitoring by means of digital filter banks (in further text – filter banks)"

The intended meaning of the phrase "in further text" is that in the rest of my paper I'm going to use "filter banks" instead of "digital filter banks" to make sentences shorter. Is the phrase in bold correct for a technical paper?

Thanks

In my experience, it is more common to abbreviate the first use of the words and then use the abbreviation later in the text. We put the abbreviation in parentheses following the first use.

In the present work we will focus our attention on radio monitoring by means of digital filter banks (DFB).

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks! In my paper I don't think it will be good to introduce another abbreviation because there are already many ones there. Could you please tell me about "in further text"? Is it fine or should it be changed somehow?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'...henceforth/hereinafter referred to as...'

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks! In my paper I don't think it will be good to introduce another abbreviation because there are already many ones there. Could you please tell me about "in further text"? Is it fine or should it be changed somehow?

You can handle this another way, but readers of technical materials are used to these sorts of shortcuts. When I am writing a paper or report and refer to a low dose dexamethasone suppression test (LDDST) nobody wants to read the long version multiple times in one paper. If I also mention immune-mediated thrombocytopenia, I will also abbreviate that (IMTP). There is no fixed number of these as long as the meaning is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.