Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,

I'm reading a book written by Richardson in 1700s and I ran into an expression that I never read before nor I could find it out in any dictionary. The whole sentence is:

"But, aunt, but, madam (put in my sister) there is no hurt, I presume, in letting my sister know the condition she goes to Miss Howe upon; since, if he gets a nack of visiting her there"

At this point of the story there are Clary, the main character, her brother and her mother which are discussing with each other. Her brother wants to decide upon her the conditions reported above. "if he gets... of visiting her" is referred to a man who is annoying the young Miss and which could decide at any moment, even if she is far away from her house, to visit her.

Could you please tell me the meaning of that expression? "to get a nack"

Thank you very much.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I'm reading a book written by Richardson in 1700s and I ran into an expression that I never read before nor I could find it out in any dictionary. The whole sentence is:

"But, aunt, but, madam (put in my sister) there is no hurt, I presume, in letting my sister know the condition she goes to Miss Howe upon; since, if he gets a nack of visiting her there"

At this point of the story there are Clary, the main character, her brother and her mother which are discussing with each other. Her brother wants to decide upon her the conditions reported above. "if he gets... of visiting her" is referred to a man who is annoying the young Miss and which could decide at any moment, even if she is far away from her house, to visit her.

Could you please tell me the meaning of that expression? "to get a nack"

Thank you very much.

In every reference I can find about Samuel Richardson's "Clarissa", the word is spelled "knack". This use of the word is uncommon to me. For a definition of "knack" look here: knack noun - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online

NovalisNova

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you very much bhaisahab. Probably it is a misprint and I could not go back intuitively to the word "knack".

PhiipL

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It is difficult to learn to ride a bike, but once you get the knack { hang } of it, it soon becomes natural.

That sense of "knack" does'nt really work in the original sentence, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.