Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

I am from Taiwan and I need your kind help with my questions below.

1. In 2010 Dr. Wang built the green building in an eco-friendly
way, and the people of the building collect rain water for the garden.

Is the sentence correct? The people of the building or the people in the building?

2. Can I rephrase it as " In 2010 Dr. Wang built the green building in an eco-friendly
way, the people of which collect rain water for the garden.

3. People in Taiwan or The people in Taiwan? People of the house or the people of the house?
Which is correct or better?

Thanks for your help

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

I am from Taiwan and I need your kind help with my questions below.

1. In 2010 Dr. Wang built the green building in an eco-friendly
way, and the people of the building collect rain water for the garden.

Is the sentence correct? The people of the building or the people in the building?

2. Can I rephrase it as " In 2010 Dr. Wang built the green building in an eco-friendly
way, the people of which collect rain water for the garden.

3. People in Taiwan or The people in Taiwan? People of the house or the people of the house?
Which is correct or better?

Thanks for your help

Welcome to the forum.

Is the "green building" a residential building? If so, you don't need to say anything like "the people of/in the building" or "the people of the house". Just call them "the residents".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 I would use the people from the building.
2 This doesn't work for me.
3 It depends on whether you are talking about people in general in Taiwan (no article) or all of them (the).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think you accidentally hit "Report Post" because we got a notification to say that you had reported the post with the following reason:

Yes, your advice that replacing it with "residents" is great!

But I want to know if the usage of the relative pronoun in the sentence is correct
or not!

Thanks

I can't really see what your post has to do with relative pronouns. You asked if "people of the house" or "the people of the house" was better. You also asked if "people in Taiwan" or "the people in Taiwan" was better. It seems to me that your question was about the use of the definite article. Can you make it clearer what it is that you actually want to know?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I can't really see what your post has to do with relative pronouns. You asked if "people of the house" or "the people of the house" was better. You also asked if "people in Taiwan" or "the people in Taiwan" was better. It seems to me that your question was about the use of the definite article. Can you make it clearer what it is that you actually want to know?
The question about the relative pronoun appears in question 2. - "the people of which".

@OP: What is the 'N' in your subject title? I assumed in meant 'number', as in "My dog had five puppies, three of which were brown."

Status
Not open for further replies.