Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. dodonaomik's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 337
    #1

    crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers,
    significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse,
    which already cost business more than $ 100 billion a year.




    Question: At first, I misunderstood the word crack because I took for granted that crack means a dynamite.
    Afterwards I found the crack cocaine in Wikipedia. Crack cocaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Now I know crack means one kind of cocaine. Thus, in the original sentence, does crack and cocaine means one kind of cocaine and some other kinds of cocaines? Or only means crack cocaine?


    Dear teachers, thanks a lot!!!

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,868
    #2

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Yes, it means "crack cocaine and non-crack cocaine". I'm not hugely up on drug terminology but I do know they are two different things even though crack is cocaine-based.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #3

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Given that crack is a type of cocaine, I find the term "crack and cocaine" to be wrong and potentially confusing (as it has confused the OP). This applies to all similar forms, eg. "chocolate and cocoa products"; "television and the media"; "doctors and professionals".
    The word 'other' or some other term should be used in all these cases - "crack and other types of cocaine"; "crack and plain cocaine" (if that's a valid distinction).
    Also, I find ems' interpretation that "crack and cocaine are different things" to be confusing too, since crack is cocaine. "Doctors and professionals are different things". Is this right? Well, yes and no. That's why it's confusing.
    Last edited by Raymott; 21-Jan-2014 at 23:53.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,868
    #4

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Chocolate and cocoa products can be entirely different. Just because something has the same base ingredient as something else, they're not the same thing.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #5

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    No, I think it's just an "officers and men" formulation, and not at all confusing with context and a modicum of thought.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers,
    significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse,
    which already cost business more than $ 100 billion a year.

    Question: At first, I misunderstood the word crack because I took for granted that crack means a dynamite.
    Afterwards I found the crack cocaine in Wikipedia. Crack cocaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Now I know crack means one kind of cocaine. Thus, in the original sentence, does crack and cocaine means one kind of cocaine and some other kinds of cocaines? Or only means crack cocaine?


    Dear teachers, thanks a lot!!!
    Crack cocaine is almost instantly addictive. Regular cocaine is a problem but less so. I have many friends who use cocaine recreationally (I do not.). I had one friend who became addicted to crack cocaine after 1 use. He ended up losing his job, his girlfriend, his dog, and burned up his apartment.

  7. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Chocolate and cocoa products can be entirely different. Just because something has the same base ingredient as something else, they're not the same thing.
    But chocolate is a cocoa product.

  8. dodonaomik's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 337
    #8

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Crack cocaine is almost instantly addictive. Regular cocaine is a problem but less so. I have many friends who use cocaine recreationally (I do not.). I had one friend who became addicted to crack cocaine after 1 use. He ended up losing his job, his girlfriend, his dog, and burned up his apartment.
    America really has much more "freedom", nevertheless sometimes "freedom" may be not a good thing.
    In China, it's said that , in some high-class hotels or pub , there may be methamphetamine hydrochloride or Magu
    or dancing outreach etc. All these drugs are severely prohibited, let alone cocaine or heroin/diacetylmorphine.
    (Many Chinese feel that the Opium War nearly destroyed national's spirit and so brought us too much humiliation. )


    Generally speaking, common Chinese(including me) have never seen any drugs. A month ago, when I traveled to Hongjiang( a town in the west of Hunan Province), in a secluded place, I saw some syringe needles and felt really shocked
    Last edited by dodonaomik; 22-Jan-2014 at 18:29.

  9. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #9

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    America really has much more "freedom", nevertheless sometimes "freedom" may be not a good thing.
    In China, it's said that , in some high-class hotels or pub , there may be methamphetamine hydrochloride or Magu
    or dancing outreach etc. All these drugs are severely prohibited, let alone cocaine or heroin/diacetylmorphine.
    (Many Chinese feel that the Opium War nearly destroyed national's spirit and so brought us too much humiliation. )


    Generally speaking, common Chinese(including me) have never seen any drugs. When I travel to Hongjiang( a town in the west of Hunan Province), in a secluded place, I saw some syringe needles that really shocked me
    Freedom is a double-edged sword. There are goods and bads. Americans can have all the children they want and they can buy drugs. Given a choice, I will take freedom every time.

  10. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #10

    Re: crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    No, I think it's just an "officers and men" formulation, and not at all confusing with context and a modicum of thought.
    So which did the OP not apply, causing her confusion? I note that Mike has written, "Crack cocaine is almost instantly addictive. Regular cocaine is a problem but less so." For clarity, he has wisely not compared crack to cocaine.
    In "officers and men", doesn't 'men' have a special meaning, ie. not officers? Men, by this definition, are not officers and officers are not men. One is not a subset of the other.
    "
    10. ( usually plural ) a member of the armed forces who does not hold commissioned, warrant, or non commissioned rank (as in the phrase officers and men )"
    Men | Define Men at Dictionary.com


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. crack
    By unpakwon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2014, 17:31
  2. [General] Crack Up
    By yunaday in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2011, 09:24
  3. [Idiom] get the first crack
    By ionutzavram in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2009, 21:59
  4. Crack
    By twilit1988 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2008, 03:59
  5. [General] his coffee whitener was cocaine.
    By dilermando in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2008, 02:41

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •