[Vocabulary] crack and cocaine? crack cocaine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers,
significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse,
which already cost business more than $ 100 billion a year:tick:.

:?:Question: At first, I misunderstood the word crack because I took for granted that crack means a dynamite:multi:.
Afterwards I found the crack cocaine in Wikipedia. Crack cocaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now I know crack means one kind of cocaine. Thus, in the original sentence, does crack and cocaine means one kind of cocaine and some other kinds of cocaines? Or only means crack cocaine?

Dear teachers, thanks a lot!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it means "crack cocaine and non-crack cocaine". I'm not hugely up on drug terminology but I do know they are two different things even though crack is cocaine-based.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Given that crack is a type of cocaine, I find the term "crack and cocaine" to be wrong and potentially confusing (as it has confused the OP). This applies to all similar forms, eg. "chocolate and cocoa products"; "television and the media"; "doctors and professionals".
The word 'other' or some other term should be used in all these cases - "crack and other types of cocaine"; "crack and plain cocaine" (if that's a valid distinction).
Also, I find ems' interpretation that "crack and cocaine are different things" to be confusing too, since crack is cocaine. "Doctors and professionals are different things". Is this right? Well, yes and no. That's why it's confusing.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Chocolate and cocoa products can be entirely different. Just because something has the same base ingredient as something else, they're not the same thing.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No, I think it's just an "officers and men" formulation, and not at all confusing with context and a modicum of thought.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers,
significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse,
which already cost business more than $ 100 billion a year:tick:.

:?:Question: At first, I misunderstood the word crack because I took for granted that crack means a dynamite:multi:.
Afterwards I found the crack cocaine in Wikipedia. Crack cocaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now I know crack means one kind of cocaine. Thus, in the original sentence, does crack and cocaine means one kind of cocaine and some other kinds of cocaines? Or only means crack cocaine?

Dear teachers, thanks a lot!!!

Crack cocaine is almost instantly addictive. Regular cocaine is a problem but less so. I have many friends who use cocaine recreationally (I do not.). I had one friend who became addicted to crack cocaine after 1 use. He ended up losing his job, his girlfriend, his dog, and burned up his apartment.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Chocolate and cocoa products can be entirely different. Just because something has the same base ingredient as something else, they're not the same thing.
But chocolate is a cocoa product.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Crack cocaine is almost instantly addictive. Regular cocaine is a problem but less so. I have many friends who use cocaine recreationally (I do not.). I had one friend who became addicted to crack cocaine after 1 use. He ended up losing his job, his girlfriend, his dog, and burned up his apartment.
America really has much more "freedom", nevertheless sometimes "freedom" may be not a good thing.
In China, it's said that , in some high-class hotels or pub , there may be methamphetamine hydrochloride:-| or Magu
or dancing outreach etc. All these drugs are severely prohibited, let alone cocaine or heroin/diacetylmorphine.
(Many Chinese feel that the Opium War nearly destroyed national's spirit and so brought us too much humiliation. )

Generally speaking, common Chinese(including me) have never seen any drugs. A month ago, when I traveled to Hongjiang( a town in the west of Hunan Province), in a secluded place, I saw some syringe needles and felt really shocked:shock:

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
America really has much more "freedom", nevertheless sometimes "freedom" may be not a good thing.
In China, it's said that , in some high-class hotels or pub , there may be methamphetamine hydrochloride:-| or Magu
or dancing outreach etc. All these drugs are severely prohibited, let alone cocaine or heroin/diacetylmorphine.
(Many Chinese feel that the Opium War nearly destroyed national's spirit and so brought us too much humiliation. )

Generally speaking, common Chinese(including me) have never seen any drugs. When I travel to Hongjiang( a town in the west of Hunan Province), in a secluded place, I saw some syringe needles that really shocked me:shock:

Freedom is a double-edged sword. There are goods and bads. Americans can have all the children they want and they can buy drugs. Given a choice, I will take freedom every time.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, I think it's just an "officers and men" formulation, and not at all confusing with context and a modicum of thought.
So which did the OP not apply, causing her confusion? I note that Mike has written, "Crack cocaine is almost instantly addictive. Regular cocaine is a problem but less so." For clarity, he has wisely not compared crack to cocaine.
In "officers and men", doesn't 'men' have a special meaning, ie. not officers? Men, by this definition, are not officers and officers are not men. One is not a subset of the other.
"
10.( usually plural ) a member of the armed forces who does not hold commissioned, warrant, or non commissioned rank (as in the phrase officers and men )"
Men | Define Men at Dictionary.com

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thus, in the original sentence, does crack and cocaine means one kind of cocaine and some other kinds of cocaines? Or only means crack cocaine?

Crack cocaine is normally referred to as simply crack, so it means this and ordinary cocaine (seen as two drugs). Crack is treated with chemicals that make it more potent than ordinary cocaine.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

In "officers and men", doesn't 'men' have a special meaning, ie. not officers? Men, by this definition, are not officers and officers are not men. One is not a subset of the other.
Having been both an officer and a man, I can confirm that. Now that the separate women's services have combined with their male counterparts, I imagine 'other ranks' has replaced 'men'.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I had to look up dancing outreach- they may be English words, but the term isn't used in English- even UrbanDictionary doesn't have a reference to it: Urban Dictionary: dancing outreach

This book suggests it's a Chinese term: https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=isbn:1600219284
:lol:Hm… … a Chinese term? I can not look up the term in the following 2 dictionaries(both published by Chinese), so the term is really not good;-) term.
1) ENGLISH-CHINESE DICTIONARY (1794 pages)
2) A DICTIONARY OF CURRENT IDIOMATIC ENGLISH (1898 pages)

Okay, now I see! I will avoid using it. Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, [my quoting system seems not to be working] I agree with Ray if he is pointing out that one could doubt whether the speaker is certain of the exact meanings of the words being used, and therefore whether clear communication has been successful; but I am saying it's not that uncommon to phrase things in that way. Officers are indeed men, but they are not merely men, in the social sense, thus the potential for using the set and subset as though they were two entirely separate subsets. I could have given the examples of 'princes and kings,' or 'kings and men,' or 'Britain and Europe.' There are loads of frequent examples in which a part is contrasted with the whole. I believe most Brits refer to Europe as a nearby destination to which they travel from their home country. They frequently say things like "I am going to Europe at the weekend." But no Brit ever says, in response "But you are already in Europe, you twat! Britain is part of Europe! We're in the bloody EU!" They usually just say "Bon voyage."

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, [my quoting system seems not to be working] I agree with Ray if he is pointing out that one could doubt whether the speaker is certain of the exact meanings of the words being used, and therefore whether clear communication has been successful; but I am saying it's not that uncommon to phrase things in that way. Officers are indeed men, but they are not merely men, in the social sense, thus the potential for using the set and subset as though they were two entirely separate subsets. I could have given the examples of 'princes and kings,' or 'kings and men,' or 'Britain and Europe.' There are loads of frequent examples in which a part is contrasted with the whole. I believe most Brits refer to Europe as a nearby destination to which they travel from their home country. They frequently say things like "I am going to Europe at the weekend." But no Brit ever says, in response "But you are already in Europe, you twat! Britain is part of Europe! We're in the bloody EU!" They usually just say "Bon voyage."
Ah... ...it's hard to understand for Chinese, but I have understood it.
If I am a British;-), I will say "I am going to Norway/Germany/Russia ... ..." but not "I am going to Europe":lol:.

Even if the phrase "crack and cocaine" is not a very clear expression, it's still very right!

Thank you for helping me to grasp the phrase.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Ah... ...it's hard to understand for Chinese, but I have understood it.
If I am a British;-), I will say "I am going to Norway/Germany/Russia ... ..." but not "I am going to Europe":lol:.

Not exactly- Britain is in Europe,but it is common for British people to use the word Europe to mean continental Europe, so they can say they're going to take a European holiday, meaning they're going somewhere on the continent and not somewhere like Asia or America, and it definitely wouldn't mean that they were taking a holiday somewhere in the UK.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
[my quoting system seems not to be working]
I'm also having this problem. I thought it was just me. "Reply with quote" is giving me an empty box.

Status
Not open for further replies.