Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can I say so about a person whose room is always a mess (with things scattered around)?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say so about a person whose room is always a mess (with things scattered around)?

Not really. Calling someone a "messy person" implies that characteristic is true in all aspects of his life. A person can have an organized office and be an impeccable dresser while having a messy room in his house.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not really. Calling someone a "messy person" implies that characteristic is true in all aspects of his life. A person can have an organized office and be an impeccable dresser while having a messy room in his house.

Is there a colloquial word for "disorganised" then (to use it instead of "messy")?
And can one use messy about a person to describe his appearance at a particular moment with the meaning "not clean or tidy"? E.g. You look so messy (after the cleaning). :?:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the chances are that someone who has a messy room probably does also have a messy work desk etc so I have no problem calling them a messy person.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the chances are that someone who has a messy room probably does also have a messy work desk etc so I have no problem calling them a messy person.

I always had a perfectly organized desk and some messy rooms.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I always had a perfectly organized desk and some messy rooms.

There is a kind of mess, especially on one's desk which we call in my language "working mess" (when the books and papers you need to do some particular work are scattered on your desk, but you need each of them every minute (or hour), so you couldn't do without this "mess" to do the work). This expression "justifies" mess a little, it's a kind of "good mess" (I have this kind of mess on my desk at the moment ;-)). Do you have some word to describe this kind of mess?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is a kind of mess, especially on one's desk which we call in my language "working mess" (when the books and papers you need to do some particular work are scattered on your desk, but you need each of them every minute (or hour), so you couldn't do without this "mess" to do the work). This expression "justifies" mess a little, it's a kind of "good mess" (I have this kind of mess on my desk at the moment ;-)). Do you have some word to describe this kind of mess?

Organised chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.