Interested in Language
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Thailand
Hi All,

I was wondering who teaches ESL teachers. Actually, who teaches people who are trying to become certified ESL teachers. What are their qualifications?

Thanks in advance

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe the unemployed teach ESL teachers. But I may be mistaken ;)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Some establishments offering courses other than the CELTA or Trinity CerTESOL may employ trainers with a variety of qualifications - or with none.

Cambridge requirements are:

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Potential CELTA trainers are required to have the Cambridge Delta or an equivalent ELT qualification. Prospective trainers with solely a strong academic background may not be suitable as CELTA trainers because of the required focus on practical classroom issues. An MA in ELT with a strong practical focus may be acceptable if the following four conditions are also met. The prospective trainer:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]has substantial (normally five years), recent and varied ELT experience[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]is familiar with the types of classes trainee teachers will teach[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]is familiar with the materials trainee teachers will use[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]can demonstrate professional involvement in ELT. [/FONT]

https://www.teachers.cambridgeesol.org/ts/teachingqualifications/celta/becomingatrainer

Trinity College requirements are:

[FONT=&quot]Course tutors must have one of the following as a minimum qualification:[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]◗◗[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Trinity’s DipTESOL (Diploma in TESOL) or equivalent (Unknown Language tutor does not require[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]this qualification)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]◗◗[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Trinity’s CertTESOL or equivalent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]◗◗[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a qualification in English language teaching of at least equivalent content and depth to the above,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]i.e. placed at Level 5 within the UK Qualifications and Credit Framework or a recognised equivalent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]in or outside the UK[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]◗◗[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]course tutors must have recent English language teaching and documented training experience.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Course tutors who have the minimum qualification of a Trinity CertTESOL or equivalent must be[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]working towards a higer level qualification.[/FONT]

Trinity College London | Home

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You should always check with other courses as standards can vary considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.