Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The only way I know to describe one "item" from a block of (stationary) paper is "a (blank) sheet of paper". Being a teacher, I often need this word and I say as I was taught "I need a sheet of paper" "Could you give me a sheet of paper?" "Here's a sheet of paper" etc. But I wonder if there is a shorter way to name this object. If I say just "a sheet", people might misunderstand and confuse the word as "shit") (I know this is not a problem for native speakers))) If I say just "a paper", it won't be grammatically correct, or is it OK? Which "short" word do you use for "a blank sheet of paper"?
:-?:?:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only way I know to describe one "item" from a block of (stationary) paper is "a (blank) sheet of paper". Being a teacher, I often need this word and I say as I was taught "I need a sheet of paper" "Could you give me a sheet of paper?" "Here's a sheet of paper" etc. But I wonder if there is a shorter way to name this object. If I say just "a sheet", people might misunderstand and confuse the word as "shit") (I know this is not a problem for native speakers))) If I say just "a paper", it won't be grammatically correct, or is it OK? Which "short" word do you use for "a blank sheet of paper"?
:-?:?:

I use "sheet of paper".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The correct solution to this problem is to pronounce 'sheet' correctly. How are you going to say, "The maid gave me the sheets"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could ask for 'a piece of paper' (unless you're worried they might confuse that with 'piss':roll:).

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You could ask for 'a piece of paper' (unless you're worried they might confuse that with 'piss':roll:).
)))) A "piece" of paper sounds "smaller" than a "sheet" of paper, doesn't it? (I need the A4 format (typically used for printers))

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'))))' confuses me. I don’t know what that stands for.

It doesn't stand for anything. I assume englishhobby was trying to put a big smile (in response to the "p*ss" remark) by putting four smiles. It's not a recognised emoticon or smiley.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"A piece of paper" might sound smaller than "a sheet of paper", but it's not. In BrE at least, if someone says "Please pass me a piece of paper" I would immediately look for a normal A4 sheet of paper to give them. If that wasn't available, I might just look for any size piece of paper for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.