[General] Hi, [blank line] as a part of... [capitalization after salutation and blank line]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conatus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

In German, after the salutation followed by a comma on [in? at?] the first line of text adressed to someone (e.g. a letter) one gives a blank line and starts a new paragraph with no capitalization on [?] the first word. [If the salutation is followed by a colon, the capitalization is mandatory.]

For the first time I've noticed someone doing this in English. And that took place on this forum. On 21[SUP]st[/SUP] January HeloiseVdW wrote:

“Hi,

as part of my thesis, I will be running a psycholinguistic experiment. Before that, I need to check that the stimuli I am using sound ‘native’".

According to her profile, Heloise is a native French speaker. I’d like to know whether this form is correct in English style too, given the possibility that the colleague had used it because it applies to French's one as well -- but not to English's one -- and that no moderator/teacher had noticed the occasional little mistake.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me, no. The first word of a new sentence/line should be capitalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.