• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Band

Hey,
    I was wondering what does it mean when someone say "I was in band" ( not A band ).
    Also, what does tippity top mean ? I'm not a native speaker but I'm guessing highest point ?
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Band

Quote Originally Posted by cosby View Post
    Hey,
    I was wondering what does it mean when someone say "I was in band" ( not A band ).
    Also, what does tippity top mean ? I'm not a native speaker but I'm guessing highest point ?
    Thanks
    "I was in band" is not correct English. Where did you hear it?
    We would need more context for "tippity/tippety top".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by cosby View Post
    Hey,
    Thanks
    'In band" often means a high school or college band, not a rock band or dance band.

Yes, for #2.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    'In band" often means a high school or college band, not a rock band or dance band.

Yes, for #2.
    What do you mean by a high school band or college band? In BrE, a high school band would be a musical group formed by kids from the same high school. I have a feeling you're referring to something to do with their educational level. Surely "I am in band" isn't a complete sentence even with that meaning.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What do you mean by a high school band or college band? In BrE, a high school band would be a musical group formed by kids from the same high school. I have a feeling you're referring to something to do with their educational level. Surely "I am in band" isn't a complete sentence even with that meaning.
    Yes, that is how we say it in AmE (sometimes in "the band"). Many high schools and colleges have a school organized band that is the marching band for athletic events and has subgroups that play for school musicals, concerts, etc. It is an extra curricular activity.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes, that is how we say it in AmE (sometimes in "the band"). Many high schools and colleges have a school organized band that is the marching band for athletic events and has subgroups that play for school musicals, concerts, etc. It is an extra curricular activity.
    When I was a bus driver I took such bands all over the western states. As a student, some of my friends were in band and band practice took quite a bit of time. I saw the Rose Bowl parade this New Year's Day and some high school bands had over 300 members.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    When I was a bus driver I took such bands all over the western states. As a student, some of my friends were in band and band practice took quite a bit of time. I saw the Rose Bowl parade this New Year's Day and some high school bands had over 300 members.
    Yes, I am amazed that this is not common in the UK. I played football and it was a huge time commitment, but I think guys in band spent even more time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't know what happens at UK secondary schools (high schools) these days, but when I was a high school student, the only musical activities were the school orchestra and the school choir(s). I was in all of them, but as far as terminology goes, I would have said:

I'm in the school orchestra.
    I'm in the orchestra.
    I'm in the school choir.
    I'm in the choir.
    I'm in the madrigal choir.

None of those would be correct in BrE without the article.

Most of my knowledge of American high schools comes from TV and films (and a few American friends) so I was already aware that there always seems to be a school band (what we would call a marching band) at every high school and that it seems to be a big deal. I was not aware, however, that it was referred to as "I'm in band" rather than "I'm in the band".

I continue to be surprised by the variety of BrE vs AmE differences.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I don't know what happens at UK secondary schools (high schools) these days, but when I was a high school student, the only musical activities were the school orchestra and the school choir(s). I was in all of them, but as far as terminology goes, I would have said:

I'm in the school orchestra.
    I'm in the orchestra.
    I'm in the school choir.
    I'm in the choir.
    I'm in the madrigal choir.

None of those would be correct in BrE without the article.

Most of my knowledge of American high schools comes from TV and films (and a few American friends) so I was already aware that there always seems to be a school band (what we would call a marching band) at every high school and that it seems to be a big deal. I was not aware, however, that it was referred to as "I'm in band" rather than "I'm in the band".

I continue to be surprised by the variety of BrE vs AmE differences.
    It amazes me as well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I was in band, orchestra, and chorus. They all met the same period so I rotated. I was not in the marching band.
    The three I was in were all academic classes. Many people were only in band. Many people were only in chorus. This is how we say it when you refer to which class you took.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast