Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Is leisurely an adjective or adverb?
2. Does "go down quietly" mean "spend a day"?

41)What a delicious feeling it must be to get up in the morning with “nothing to do!” To most of us it is a treat that comes very few times after childhood― just a day or two in the year. There is no need to go off on a long tour, to climb mountains, and to sail on rivers. We are
able to sleep as long as we like in the morning, to dress as leisurely as we please and then to go down quietly through the day, having absolutely nothing to do but to please ourselves. It is the very extreme of pleasure to lie down beneath an old oak tree upon a breezy hill, and hear the wind rustling among the leaves.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Is leisurely an adjective or adverb?
2. Does "go down quietly" mean "spend a day"?

41)What a delicious feeling it must be to get up in the morning with “nothing to do!” To most of us it is a treat that comes very few times after childhood― just a day or two in the year. There is no need to go off on a long tour, to climb mountains, and to sail on rivers. We are
able to sleep as long as we like in the morning, to dress as leisurely as we please and then to go down quietly through the day, having absolutely nothing to do but to please ourselves. It is the very extreme of pleasure to lie down beneath an old oak tree upon a breezy hill, and hear the wind rustling among the leaves.

Fir me, "leisurely" is an adverb, modifying "to dress". The phrase "go down" is not natural in my opinion. I would use "go on".

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Mike, what does "fir me" mean? I'm a little bit confused. Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.