Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teachers,
If I convert above sentence into passive as "You are prefered to meet you later", is it right? Or shoud it be "you prefer to be meet later"?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You cannot make a natural passive form of that sentence.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why do you even want to do so, kite?

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is actually not my idea. One of my friends wanted to do it. However, I was a bit aware that every sentence cannot be converted into passive form. Is there any specific rule by which we can determine the posibility or impossibility of converting active to passive?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
However, I was a bit aware that every sentence cannot be converted into passive form.
Not every sentence can be converted ...
Is there any specific rule by which we can determine the posibility or impossibility of converting active to passive?
It's pretty safe to say that if there is no direct object in a sentence, then a passive sentence cannot be constructed.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry to bother you again, 5jj. Direct objects do not answer the question "where", now I know that. But direct objects answer to what kind of questions? I want to know that. What I know about object is that which answer the questions "what and whom" are objects. Would you please clary the case to me?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry to bother you again, 5jj. Direct objects do not answer the question "where", now I know that. But direct objects answer to what kind of questions? I want to know that. What I know about object is that which answer the questions "what and whom" are objects. Would you please clary the case to me?

Thanks.

I was taught to analyze modifiers by the questions they answer. The idea of using that for direct objects is foreign to me. Where did you learn that?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is actually not my idea. One of my friends wanted to do it. However, I was a bit aware that every sentence cannot be converted into passive form. Is there any specific rule by which we can determine the posibility or impossibility of converting active to passive?

The problem with conversion exercises is that they don't look at why we use the passive, which is the key thing. Taking perfectly good active sentences and generating slightly odd or unnatural passive sentences doesn't serve much purpose IMO. You can generate forced and unnatural sentences that are technically possible, but that doesn't strike me as a great rule to search for.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Mike, that rule was taught to me by one of my English teachers. Till now I have been following that rule and no case I got. But according to your opinion, now I am a bit striked. Would you please tell me what the rule is you actually follow to notice direct objects?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mike, that rule was taught to me by one of my English teachers. Till now I have been following that rule and no case I got. But according to your opinion, now I am a bit striked. Would you please tell me what the rule is you actually follow to notice direct objects?

Thanks.

Try this link. It even uses questions to determine the direct object: The Direct Object

Status
Not open for further replies.