Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Please, would you correct my mistakes in the following sentence:

Peter told us yesterday that he was going on a trip all over the world, but he did explain how he is going to do that.
(I am not sure about the second part, ...but he did not explain how he is... Is it correct with "is" or should it be "how he was going to do that"?)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please, would you correct my mistakes in the following sentence:

Peter told us yesterday that he was going on a trip all over the world, but he did explain how he is going to do that.
(I am not sure about the second part, ...but he did not explain how he is... Is it correct with "is" or should it be "how he was going to do that"?)

It doesn't make sense with "but" before "did explain". Did you mean to put "did not explain"?

Yesterday, Peter told us he is/was going on a round-the-world trip, but he didn't explain how he is going to do it.
Yesterday, Peter told us he is/was going on a round-the-world trip and he explained how he is going to do it.

As you can see, I have changed the sentence a bit. I would accept "is" or "was" in the first half but would stick with "is" in the second half.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Now I see that I have made a mistake. I have forgotten to write "did not explain."

Status
Not open for further replies.