Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,600
    #1

    Jane watched

    Please, would you help me with these two sentences:

    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they were around.
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they are around.

    I am wondering about the second part of the sentence. Is it grammatically correct to have both the present and the past?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: Jane watched

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Please, would you help me with these two sentences:

    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they were around.
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they are around.

    I am wondering about the second part of the sentence. Is it grammatically correct to have both the present and the past?
    Neither sentence makes sense; around what?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,600
    #3

    Re: Jane watched

    Bai,
    I wanted to say around home.

    Does it make sense if I write: Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they were around home.
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they are around home.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: Jane watched

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Bai,
    I wanted to say around home.

    Does it make sense if I write: Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they were around home.
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they are around home.
    Not really, no.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,600
    #5

    Re: Jane watched

    Bai
    I am wondering if I could use, "with her"?
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they were with her.
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful that they are with her.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,876
    #6

    Re: Jane watched

    You could say "... thinking how beautiful it was that they were around/with her".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 3,600
    #7

    Re: Jane watched

    emsr2d2,

    I am wondering if I could also use the present in the second part and say:

    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful it is that there are around.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,876
    #8

    Re: Jane watched

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    emsr2d2,

    I am wondering if I could also use the present in the second part and say:

    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful it is that there they are around.
    Yes, "is" works.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: Jane watched

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking how beautiful it is that there are around.
    That would work for me only as:

    Jane watched her children playing in the garden, thinking "How beautiful it is that they are around".

    Personally, I don't find the word beautiful very natural here. I'd use something like wonderful or marvellous.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 26-Jan-2014 at 09:35.

Similar Threads

  1. After watching/after having watched/after he watched
    By vasea1977 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2013, 23:10
  2. have watched / have seen
    By alikim in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2011, 23:54
  3. watched for
    By alla in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-May-2009, 13:37
  4. watched/seen
    By anamicabhatta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2009, 03:59
  5. I watched a little TV!
    By hanky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2008, 10:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •