• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest th

Hi all,

What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest that dying was the best career move he ever made. )

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might sugges

Quote Originally Posted by Radman View Post
    Hi all,

What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest that dying was the best career move he ever made. )
    A "move" is an action undertaken to achieve a specific goal.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might sugges

A career move is any step or action you take in your career. Sometimes it's a good move and sometimes it's a bad move. The use of the word probably comes from chess, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Of course, dying isn't an actual career move but for some people, such as musicians and artists, their career trajectory really improves after they're dead.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Dear Emsr2d2, It's a style icons .I've read it in a book. It's about James Dean who was an actor and he is not alive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Radman View Post
    Dear Unnecessary Emsr2d2, It's a style icons . (I don't know what you mean by that sentence.) I've read it in a book. It's about James Dean who was an actor and he is not alive.
    I don't know why you've told me this. I didn't ask where you had seen it. I was referring to the word "move" being used in English to refer to any action. I think the word was taken from chess where the players make "moves". I wasn't suggesting that your quote was from chess.

I know who James Dean was and I know he's dead. However, if you're reading a book about him, you probably know that he became more famous and, effectively, more successful after he died.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Sorry for misunderstanding,I think it's because of that I am not native speaker and I couldn't explain it in a right way......Sorry again
    Last edited by Radman; 26-Jan-2014 at 12:22.