What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest th

Hi all,

What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest that dying was the best career move he ever made. )

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might sugges

Hi all,

What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might suggest that dying was the best career move he ever made. )

A "move" is an action undertaken to achieve a specific goal.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: What's the meaning of "move " in this sentence ? ( A black humorist might sugges

A career move is any step or action you take in your career. Sometimes it's a good move and sometimes it's a bad move. The use of the word probably comes from chess, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Of course, dying isn't an actual career move but for some people, such as musicians and artists, their career trajectory really improves after they're dead.

Radman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Dear Emsr2d2, It's a style icons .I've read it in a book. It's about James Dean who was an actor and he is not alive.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

[strike]Dear[/strike] Unnecessary Emsr2d2, It's a style icons . (I don't know what you mean by that sentence.) I've read it in a book. It's about James Dean who was an actor and he is not alive.

I don't know why you've told me this. I didn't ask where you had seen it. I was referring to the word "move" being used in English to refer to any action. I think the word was taken from chess where the players make "moves". I wasn't suggesting that your quote was from chess.

I know who James Dean was and I know he's dead. However, if you're reading a book about him, you probably know that he became more famous and, effectively, more successful after he died.

Radman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Sorry for misunderstanding,I think it's because of that I am not native speaker and I couldn't explain it in a right way......Sorry again :oops:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.