[Grammar] 'an' average human or 'the' average human?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

In the following sentences,

- I know the average human needs about eight hours of sleep, and this very large animal (referring to a giraffe) only needs twenty to two hours? That's incredible!

Here, 'the' average human or 'an' average human, which sounds natural to your ears?

I found some interesting sentences at http://www.did-you-knows.com/d...ow-facts/average.php. It seems that 'the' average human/person is more common.

- The average person falls asleep in 7 minutes.
- An average person will spend 25 years asleep.
- The average hen lays 228 eggs a year.
- The average person laughs 10 times a day.
- The average person will consume 100 tons of food and 45,424 liters of water in their lifetime.
- The average person goes to the toilet 6 times a day.

When we're referring to an ordinary person/human, not a specific one, why do we say 'the' instead of 'an' average person?

Thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,

- I know the average human needs about eight hours of sleep, and this very large animal (referring to a giraffe) only needs twenty to two hours? That's incredible!

Here, 'the' average human or 'an' average human, which sounds natural to your ears?

I found some interesting sentences at http://www.did-you-knows.com/d...ow-facts/average.php. It seems that 'the' average human/person is more common.

- The average person will consume 100 tons of food and 45,424 liters of water in their lifetime.

When we're referring to an ordinary person/human, not a specific one, why do we say 'the' instead of 'an' average person?

Thank you!

"an" works fine for me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either is fine.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Thank you!

There is an error in your first sentence. I assume you meant "twenty minutes to two hours".

Heidi L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
There is an error in your first sentence. I assume you meant "twenty minutes to two hours".
Sorry. It should be 'twenty minutes to two hours'.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.