Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 62
    #1

    worked / had worked

    Can I also use 'had worked' instead of 'worked' (the latter being the correct form indicated in the Answer Key):

    'How long did Peter work in that office? He (to work) there for two years. Did he enjoy working there?
    No, he didn't enjoy at all. That is why he came to our factory where he has working for more than a year now."

    Thank you in advance!

  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,827
    #2

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by mihallure View Post
    ...he has working for more than a year
    I think "been" should be added before "working".

    Not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Jan 2014
    • Posts: 62
    #3

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    I think "been" should be added before "working".

    Not a teacher.
    Yes, I think it's better to use 'had been working" instead 'had worked'. The only problem is that the Answer key says the form to use there should be only 'worked'. I would like to find out if it's also OK to use Past Perfect Continuous as you have suggested. Thank you!

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #4

    Re: worked / had worked

    For the question you asked about, it's only "worked." You need some other act in the past to use the past perfect.

    Why does Peter know so much about manufacturing?
    He had worked in a factory before becoming a teacher after university.

    For the point that Matthew made, you have a problem in your last sentence: That is why he came to our factory, where he has been working for more than a year now." (Better: That is why he came to our factory. He has been working here for more than a year now.")
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,827
    #5

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    You need some other act in the past to use the past perfect.
    In the example below, there is no other act in the past but the past perfect is used, why?
    "We had been talking for a good half hour."
    Quoted from for - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #6

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    In the example below, there is no other act in the past but the past perfect is used, why?
    "We had been talking for a good half hour."
    Quoted from for - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online
    You have one sentence, taken out of context. How do you know there was no other act in the past?

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,827
    #7

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    You have one sentence, taken out of context. How do you know there was no other act in the past?
    No context is there, why did you say "taken out of context"? I assume there was no other act in the past because it is not mentioned.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    No context is there, why did you say "taken out of context"? I assume there was no other act in the past because it is not mentioned.
    When one tries to analyze a single sentence in a vacuum, assumptions are dangerous. It is very rare for any single sentence to exist without a context.

  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,827
    #9

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    assumptions are dangerous
    If I guess the context which is unspecified, is it also an assumption?

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: worked / had worked

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    If I guess the context which is unspecified, is it also an assumption?
    Yes. But it is a more logical, IMO.

    If I see people walking around smiling, I assume there is oxygen. To assume there is no oxygen is less valid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. could have worked
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2012, 01:28
  2. had worked
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2012, 13:45
  3. past tense or past perfect - worked or had worked
    By thomas615 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2011, 05:49
  4. How long has ... taught/worked in vs. taught/worked at
    By dshaw002 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-May-2010, 07:01
  5. worked on vs did
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2009, 05:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •