[Grammar] DThe phrases "12 boys and 13 girls" and "25 boys and girls" do have the same meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
DThe phrases "12 boys and 13 girls" and "25 boys and girls" do have the same meaning?

If someone asks me, "How many boys and girls are there?", would the following answers mean the same?

--12 boys and 13 girls

--25 boys and girls

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: The phrases "12 boys and 13 girls" and "25 boys and girls" do have the same meani

If someone asks me, "How many boys and girls are there?", would the following answers mean the same?

--12 boys and 13 girls

--25 boys and girls

No. The first means 25 total. The second most likely means 50 total, but it is not completely clear.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Re: The phrases "12 boys and 13 girls" and "25 boys and girls" do have the same meani

not a teacher

As with the examples below, I would at first assume that "25 boys and girls" meant a total of 25.
"25 boys and girls came to the birthday party".
"I teach a class of 25 boys and girls".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

mamen, your title is wrongly phrased.

Please note the correct way to ask a question:

Do the phrases "12 boys and 13 girls" and "25 boys and girls" [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] have the same meaning?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

--12 boys and 13 girls

--25 boys and girls

The second doesn't give any indication of how many of each. Like JMurray, I would think that the total was likely to be 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.