• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

American graduate or US graduate

Hi. Just a simple question that's been bothering me. I graduated from a university in the US. I was an international student (I'm from Malaysia) there, so should I refer myself as 'American graduate' or 'US graduate' or any other way?

The reason I asked is because from my understanding 'American' refers to a citizen of the US; that said, American graduates are graduates whose nationality is American.

I came across people who corrected me when I referred my Malaysian friends graduated from Japan as 'Japan graduates'. They said 'Japanese graduates' instead.

Could you please explain to me which way is correct or does it not matter at all?

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: American graduate or US graduate

Quote Originally Posted by afm14 View Post
    Hi. Just a simple question that's been bothering me. I graduated from a university in the US. I was an international student (I'm from Malaysia) there, so should I refer myself as 'American graduate' or 'US graduate' or any other way?

The reason I asked is because from my understanding 'American' refers to a citizen of the US; that said, American graduates are graduates whose nationality is American.

I came across people who corrected me when I referred my Malaysian friends graduated from Japan as 'Japan graduates'. They said 'Japanese graduates' instead.

Could you please explain to me which way is correct or does it not matter at all?

Thanks in advance!
    "A graduate of a US university" works.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks in advance!
    The style in the US is to name the university you attended, such as, "I graduated from Yale University." If you assume that the other person isn't familiar with Yale University, or San Diego State University, then one would say, "I graduated from San Diego State University in the US."

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malay
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Referring to bhaisahab's reply, I take it from here that 'US university' = 'American university', right? I can use either one I assume.

Anyway, thanks bhaisahab and Gillnetter!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Yes, you can.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

You could be a foreigner who is still a US graduate, i.e. one who graduates in the US. And an American graduate may receive a degree while abroad.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Referring to bhaisahab's reply, I take it from here that 'US university' = 'American university', right? I can use either one I assume.

Anyway, thanks bhaisahab and Gillnetter!
    Generally yes, but you should know that there are a number of countries which identify themselves as American. They are on the American continent. For example, the Ibero-American University in Mexico and the Central-American University in El Salvador are not named such because of any connections with the US but because they are on the American continent.