• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

you will be more civilized

Hi,

In most of the men' rooms in China, there is a line of words on the urinals, saying "Take a step forward and you will be more civilized".
    I can be sure that this sentence is free of any grammatical errors and unnatural phrasing.

Whoever writes this clearly shows his intention, which is to prevent people from spilling their pee outside of the urinals.

However, I never saw such a thing in an English spoken country.

So I would like to hear you native speakers' first impressions on this. Does it sound strange or unnatural to you?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: you will be more civilized

I haven't spent much time in men's toilets but I've been in a few and I've never seen anything like it. The wording (in English) is very unnatural. The only sign I've ever seen in public/private toilets in the UK is "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat". That, of course, doesn't work with urinals as they don't have seats.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I haven't spent much time in men's toilets but I've been in a few and I've never seen anything like it. The wording (in English) is very unnatural. The only sign I've ever seen in public/private toilets in the UK is "If you sprinkle when you tinkle, please be neat and wipe the seat". That, of course, doesn't work with urinals as they don't have seats.
    How is "take a step forward" and " You will be more civilized" unnatural? They seem to be pretty self-explanatory to me

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

They are self-explanatory but the combination of them in the context you gave would be unnatural. Generally we don't refer to people peeing in either a civilised or an uncivilised way.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by LeTyan View Post
    Hi,

In most of the men' rooms in China, there is a line of words on the urinals, saying "Take a step forward and you will be more civilized".
    I can be sure that this sentence is free of any grammatical errors and unnatural phrasing.

Whoever writes this clearly shows his intention, which is to prevent people from spilling their pee outside of the urinals.

However, I never saw such a thing in an English spoken country.

So I would like to hear you native speakers' first impressions on this. Does it sound strange or unnatural to you?
    In the US signs above urinals are not very common, but when they appear, they are usually humorous.

"We aim to please. You aim too, please."
    "Please don't eat the large white mint." (referring to the deodorizing tablet at the bottom)