Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I want to explain why I don't wear a ring. I'm not allergic. It's not prohibited to wear a ring at work. I just don't feel comfortable wearing one.
What's a common way to explain it? Do you say "rings are annoying"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to explain why I don't wear a ring. I'm not allergic. It's not prohibited to wear a ring at work. I just don't feel comfortable wearing one.
What's a common way to explain it? Do you say "rings are annoying"?

I would say "I don't like wearing rings."

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you.

There could be some reasons why you don't like wearing rings, so what would you answer if people ask you "Why?" after you tell them "I don't like wearing rings"? I want to know a natural way to say "I just don't feel comfortable wearing one", "I don't like the feeling of wearing a ring on my finger", or "Rings are annoying", or something like that.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I want to know a natural way to say "I just don't feel comfortable wearing one", "I don't like the feeling of wearing a ring on my finger".

Something like, "I don't like wearing rings, they annoy me." or "… they don't feel comfortable." seems fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't like how they feel.
I'm uncomfortable wearing one.

Don't say "Rings are annoying" or "I don't like rings" because that doesn't seem to be true. It sounds like you like rings on other people, you just don't like wearing them.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I want to explain why I don't wear a ring.

Why? Has somebody asked you? It's nobody's business but your own.

I don't find it necessary to justify why I haven't got a tattoo or had my tongue pierced.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

My wife doesn't wear a wedding ring and has been asked why not. I don't either, but no one's asked me.

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Actually, many people have asked me in my life. That often happens in a conversation among girls.
I don't mean a wedding ring. I mean wearing rings as fashion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If wearing rings for decoration is a cultural norm, then I can understand why people ask you why you choose not to join in. It's still none of their business but when people meet someone who very obviously eschews traditional/cultural norms, people are frequently interested in their reasons.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Many people I know wear rings, I choose not to for reasons that are probably similar to herbivore's. I sometimes wore a ring when I was younger but kept taking it on and off, I found it annoying, which prompted my earlier post. This does not, of course, mean that I find other people wearing rings to be annoying. Over the years a few people have commented on the fact that I don't wear rings and it doesn't bother me at all.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you.

There could be some reasons why you don't like wearing rings, so what would you answer if people ask you "Why?" after you tell them "I don't like wearing rings"? I want to know a natural way to say "I just don't feel comfortable wearing one", "I don't like the feeling of wearing a ring on my finger", or "Rings are annoying", or something like that.
They're still going to ask why you don't feel comfortable wearing one, or what's annoying about them.
No doubt you have a specific reason - they get caught in things, they make you itch in the heat, you don't like attention being drawn to your hands, etc. But whether you want to explain all this to your friends is another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.