Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please take a look at the sentence below.

"Many young people quit their well-paying (A. jobs, B. work) in the cities and returned to their home towns to grow organic vegetables."

I know that A is correct, but why not B?
I asked this question because according to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, work means "a job you are paid to do ..." and also because both "out of a job" and "out of work" can mean "out of employment." I do need language experts' explanations. Thank you.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please take a look at the sentence below.

"Many young people quit their well-paying (A. jobs, B. work) in the cities and returned to their home towns to grow organic vegetables."

I know that A is correct, but why not B?
I asked this question because according to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, work means "a job you are paid to do ..." and also because both "out of a job" and "out of work" can mean "out of employment." I do need language experts' explanations. Thank you.

The words "job" and work" are related, but not interchangeable. We would not say "well-paying" work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a well-paid job.
My work is well paid.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The words "job" and work" are related, but not interchangeable. We would not say "well-paying" work.
@ Odessa Dawn. I see that you both 'liked' and 'disliked this post'. Please don't do that in future. It does make these functions rather pointless if they are misused.

Last edited:

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
@ Odessa Dawn. I see that you both 'liked' and 'disliked this post'. Please don't do that in future. It does make these functions rather pointless if they are misused.
I think that it is a mistake. Once a button has been clicked, we can't undo it.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I feel ashamed that I couldn’t get rid of that. It was by mistake and I am deeply hurt doing that to a towering figure, MikeNewYork . I just wanted to know how they work. Your forgiveness, MikeNewYork. Apologize!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I feel ashamed that I couldn’t get rid of that. It was by mistake and I am deeply hurt doing that to a towering figure, MikeNewYork . I just wanted to know how they work. Your forgiveness, MikeNewYork. Apologize!

Odessa, please do not be concerned. There are no towers here and I was not and am not offended. You are a good man.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

From now on, you can remove accidental choices.

PS Apologies :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.