• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Cool Do you "borrow" or "return" your books at the checkout desk in a library?

Dear teachers:

When you go to a checkout desk in a library, do you borrow or return your book(s)? Or both? Besides, do you have checkin desks in libraries? Thanks for your professional help!

Warmest Regards,
    Wei-ching
    Last edited by Wei-ching; 04-Feb-2014 at 00:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Do you "borrow" or "return" your books at the checkout desk in a library?

Libraries are all different. At the first one I ever used, they only had one desk. You borrowed and returned books at the same place. It was the same at my local library in Madrid. However, the new, modern library in my home town has a desk where you borrow books but when you take them back, you scan the barcode at a small machine and put the book on a shelf. You don't have to see/speak to a member of staff at all to return your books.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

At my little local library, you use the same desk to check out and return. You can put the books in a bin through a little slot if the library is closed.
    At our larger central library, you can scan the books out yourself. If you just try to walk out with them, an alarm will sound. Or you can go to the desk to check them out. At the larger library, you just return them to a big bin, unless you want to renew them -- to do that, you have to see the librarian (or you can do it online).
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

It's the same here in the UK.