Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear teachers and friends

I have attached a voice clip of my uncle speaking English. He says he speaks with an American accent. I am not familiar with American accent, so i would like to see if you can give me insights what kind of American accent is my uncle.

Regards

Holden

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You have forgotten to add the clip.

holdenenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
(re-post) American accent (what kind of)

Dear teachers and friends

I forgot to attach the voice clip. Now I re-attached the clip of my uncle from Shanghai speaking English.

He says he speaks with an American accent. I am not familiar with American accent, so i would like to see if you can give me insights what kind of American accent is my uncle.

Regards

Holden

Attachments

• Nelson.mp3
    120.5 KB · Views: 37

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: (re-post) American accent (what kind of)

I could not say what part of the US this accent is particular to. It sounds like he either came as a child or grew up in a household where they spoke something else. You say he's from Shaghai, but I don't detect even a trace of an Asian accent.

If you hadn't asked me to listen hard to see where he's from, I would have said "general American accent" and moved on, without even questioning whether he was a native speaker. But it's certainly not a Southern accent or an upper Midwest accent or a New England accent.

(I merged the two threads - please don't start a new thread just to link to another one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.