Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2013
    • Posts: 41
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    'us' or 'our' ?

    Hi All,

    I want to know if I should use 'us' or 'our' in the sentence 'what advice will you give us/our graduate students?'. Note that the person who asks the question is a graudate student himself.

    Thanks!

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by xupeng66 View Post
    Hi All,

    I want to know if I should use 'us' or 'our' in the sentence 'what advice will you give us/our graduate students?'. Note that the person who asks the question is a graudate student himself.

    Thanks!
    If the speaker is a student, use "us".

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,265
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Did you mean "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us graduate students?" If those were the choices, then the first is absolutely fine. The second is not.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    If the context is a representative (of the graduate students) talking to someone who's supposed to give the advice, he could say either "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us?" In the second sentence it has to be made clear, by an earlier reference perhaps, or based on context, that "us" refers to "graduate students."

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by green8 View Post
    If the context is a representative (of the graduate students) talking to someone who's supposed to give the advice, he could say either "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us?" In the second sentence it has to be made clear, by an earlier reference perhaps, or based on context, that "us" refers to "graduate students."
    I have no problem with "us graduate students" if that is needed to make the sentence clear. If this were in the nominate case, "We graduate students " would also be OK with me.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,262
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Did you mean "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us graduate students?" If those were the choices, then the first is absolutely fine. The second is not.
    It seems that the second sentence sounds OK to us non-British posters.

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It seems that the second sentence sounds OK to us non-British posters.
    We Americans agree with you Australians.

  6. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 6,490
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Did you mean "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us graduate students?" If those were the choices, then the first is absolutely fine. The second is not.
    Can "who are" be added between "us" and "graduate students"?

  7. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It seems that the second sentence sounds OK to us non-British posters.
    It seems OK to this British person.

  8. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: 'us' or 'our' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    Can "who are" be added between "us" and "graduate students"?
    It wouldn't be very natural.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •