Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Hi All,

I want to know if I should use 'us' or 'our' in the sentence 'what advice will you give us/our graduate students?'. Note that the person who asks the question is a graudate student himself.

Thanks!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi All,

I want to know if I should use 'us' or 'our' in the sentence 'what advice will you give us/our graduate students?'. Note that the person who asks the question is a graudate student himself.

Thanks!

If the speaker is a student, use "us".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you mean "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us graduate students?" If those were the choices, then the first is absolutely fine. The second is not.

green8

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
If the context is a representative (of the graduate students) talking to someone who's supposed to give the advice, he could say either "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us?" In the second sentence it has to be made clear, by an earlier reference perhaps, or based on context, that "us" refers to "graduate students."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the context is a representative (of the graduate students) talking to someone who's supposed to give the advice, he could say either "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us?" In the second sentence it has to be made clear, by an earlier reference perhaps, or based on context, that "us" refers to "graduate students."

I have no problem with "us graduate students" if that is needed to make the sentence clear. If this were in the nominate case, "We graduate students " would also be OK with me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Did you mean "What advice would you give us?" or "What advice would you give us graduate students?" If those were the choices, then the first is absolutely fine. The second is not.
It seems that the second sentence sounds OK to us non-British posters.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can "who are" be added between "us" and "graduate students"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could say "... to those of us who are graduate students".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is one of the rare occasions when I disagree with ems. I think the second is fine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is one of the rare occasions when I disagree with ems. I think the second is fine.

Always happy to be disagreed with! I think, for me, it's because the construction reminds me of "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens" - a song which I always felt was worded in a sort of peasant farmer style vernacular, not standard English. I based that on the "us chickens" as much as the "Ain't nobody here".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Always happy to be disagreed with!
Do you give private lessons in that? If so, I'd like to book a course for my wife.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"What advice would you give us graduate students?" is this only suitable for spoken or is it okay for written as well? I am asking this question because it seems to me strange too. I would say it as "what advice would you give our (graduate) students?".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"What advice would you give us graduate students?" is this only suitable for spoken or is it okay for written as well? I am asking this question because it seems to me strange too. I would say it as "what advice would you give our (graduate) students?".
You have two sentences with different meanings there.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"what advice would you give our (graduate) students?".
Does it seem that this question is asked by a teacher rather than a student?

Status
Not open for further replies.