[General] Word to describe someone who doesn't like to share advantageous detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishisawesome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Word to describe or call someone who doesn't like to reveal details about himself or things he knows that may be deemed advantageous in current state of affairs. So that be does not lose his own potential advantage.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Word to describe or call someone who doesn't like to reveal details about himself or things he knows that may be deemed advantageous in current state of affairs. So that be does not lose his own potential advantage.

How about "secretive"?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about "shrewd"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could say "He keeps his cards close to his chest".

Englishisawesome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks for the replies, they've been helpful, although I don't see how shrewd fits the description.

I'm looking more for a singular descriptive word to call the person, the closest word I can think of is an "expedient".

Can you actually call someone an expedient?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the replies, they've been helpful, although I don't see how shrewd fits the description.

I'm looking more for a singular descriptive word to call the person, the closest word I can think of is an "expedient".

Can you actually call someone an expedient?

Are you looking for a noun or an adjective or both?

Englishisawesome

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Both but preferably a noun.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We are not infrequently asked here for words, expressions or idioms for certain ideas. Very often, English simply does not have them. There is no reason why we should have one word for someone who doesn't like to reveal details about himself or things he knows that may be deemed advantageous in current state of affairs. So that he does not lose his own potential advantage. That's quite a few ideas to pack into one word.

Occasionally, we can use the name of a real person or fictional, if that person happens to embody certain characteristics known to many people - there are, for example, 24 citations with the adjective 'Chaplinesque' in COCA, and most of us know what 'malapropisms' are. If you wanted to describe someone who was handsome, intelligent, charming, generous, who was very knowedgeable about English grammar, and who was a patient, caring, inspirational teacher, you might say he was a 5jj.

Then again, you might not.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We are not infrequently asked here for words, expressions or idioms for certain ideas. Very often, English simply does not have them. There is no reason why we should have one word for someone who doesn't like to reveal details about himself or things he knows that may be deemed advantageous in current state of affairs. So that he does not lose his own potential advantage. That's quite a few ideas to pack into one word.

Occasionally, we can use the name of a real person or fictional, if that person happens to embody certain characteristics known to many people - there are, for example, 24 citations with the adjective 'Chaplinesque' in COCA, and most of us know what 'malapropisms' are. If you wanted to describe someone who was handsome, intelligent, charming, generous, who was very knowedgeable about English grammar, and who was a patient, caring, inspirational teacher, you might say he was a 5jj.

Then again, you might not.

I am thinking of a new word -- 5jjesque. :lol: Let me e-mail Webster.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll stick with my sobriquet. Grumpy by name....

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you wanted to describe someone who was handsome, intelligent, charming, generous, who was very knowedgeable about English grammar, and who was a patient, caring, inspirational teacher, you might say he was a 5jj.

I'd call that an antonym of 'someone who doesn't like to reveal details about himself or things he knows that may be deemed advantageous in current state of affairs. So that be does not lose his own potential advantage'.

Status
Not open for further replies.