Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,
I am not so sure how to use the phrase 'with the caveat that'. It makes me unable to understand the following sentence well:

With the caveat that I don't really like to think too much about how my work is received, I do think my work is perceived differently in India because I'm writing about the Indian diaspora. (taken from an interview)

What does the phrase mean in the above context? And how do we use it in different situations?

Thanks in advance for paying attention to my question.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I am not so sure how to use the phrase 'with the caveat that'. It makes me unable to understand the following sentence well:

With the caveat that I don't really like to think too much about how my work is received, I do think my work is perceived differently in India because I'm writing about the Indian diaspora. (taken from an interview)

What does the phrase mean in the above context? And how do we use it in different situations?

Thanks in advance for paying attention to my question.

A "caveat" is a warning, a stipulation, or an explanation. It means that the reader/listener should take the words into account when evaluating the rest of the statement.

One of the most common uses of "caveat" is in the Latin phrase "caveat emptor", which means "Let the buyer beware". That basically means that the buyer is responsible for carefully evaluating what he/she is buying.

Losi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks, Mike, for the explanation.
I have written five sentences using the word 'caveat':
1) She can teach English temporarily, with one caveat that she is bad in pronunciation.
2)My Principal issued a memo with a caveat against using the photocopy machine for personal business.
3) You can conduct a forum in your class, with the caveat that more than half of the students speak little English.
4) I have decided to sign up for the club, with the caveat that I become a secretary.
5) Many students fell asleep during this week's lesson. With that caveat, We should make next week's lesson more interesting.

Do I use the word 'caveat' correctly?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks, Mike, for the explanation.
I have written four sentences using the word 'caveat':
1) She can teach English temporarily, with one caveat that she is bad in pronunciation.
2)My Principal issued a memo with a caveat against using the photocopy machine for personal business.
3) You can conduct a forum in your class, with the caveat that more than half of the students speak little English.
4) I have decided to sign up for the club, with the caveat that I become a secretary.

Do I use the word 'caveat' correctly?

None of those seems natural to me.

Losi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks for the reply. How do I make them sound natural?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for the reply. How do I make them sound natural?

If you used something other than "caveat", they could be improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.