Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

My question is about the usage of "present" and "represent". Here are my particular examples:

1) The research carried out by the team of authors and presented / represented in this paper is directed at creating new approaches and tools (mathematical models and numerical algorithms) intended for studying geomagnetic field variations

The intended meaning is that the paper contains the description (which could be brief or detailed) of the research

2) The mathematical model was used for creating numerical algorithms aimed at identifying the characteristic component of the variation and components presenting / representing different conditions of the geomagnetic field.

The intended meaning is that signal compoents allow us to make conclusions about the condition of the field. Each component contains certain information about the field and using this information we can decide on the condition.

The words are similar in their meaning and I had to consult the dictionary. After doing that I chose "presented" and "presenting", respectively. What do you think?

Thanks

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

My question is about the usage of "present" and "represent". Here are my particular examples:

1) The research carried out by the team of authors and presented / represented in this paper is directed at creating new approaches and tools (mathematical models and numerical algorithms) intended for studying geomagnetic field variations

The intended meaning is that the paper contains the description (which could be brief or detailed) of the research

2) The mathematical model was used for creating numerical algorithms aimed at identifying the characteristic component of the variation and components presenting / representing different conditions of the geomagnetic field.

The intended meaning is that signal compoents allow us to make conclusions about the condition of the field. Each component contains certain information about the field and using this information we can decide on the condition.

The words are similar in their meaning and I had to consult the dictionary. After doing that I chose "presented" and "presenting", respectively. What do you think?

Thanks

I agree.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks, Mike!

I would like to provide 2 more examples with the noun from the technical context

1) There are many different mathematical presentations/representation of geomagnetic signals.

The intended meaning is that there are different mathematical models (mathematical expressions) of geomagnetic signals. In order not to use the term "model" all the time, I'd like to have some synonym with a more general meaning to speak about signals from the point of view of mathematics. Google offers "mathematical representations of signals": https://www.google.ru/search?newwin....2.0....0...1c.1.34.serp..0.2.140.w3iBrzPh1lo

I wonder, why? If we admit that "present" is better, why are there so many examples with "representation"?

2) Two-dimensional presentations/representations of spatial structurechanges in brain bioelectric potential field
Here the situation is absolutely the same: https://www.google.ru/search?newwin....0....0...1c.1.34.serp..12.15.681.ifsog1jba3M

Why?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks, Mike!

I would like to provide 2 more examples with the noun from the technical context

1) There are many different mathematical presentations/representation of geomagnetic signals.

The intended meaning is that there are different mathematical models (mathematical expressions) of geomagnetic signals. In order not to use the term "model" all the time, I'd like to have some synonym with a more general meaning to speak about signals from the point of view of mathematics. Google offers "mathematical representations of signals": https://www.google.ru/search?newwin....2.0....0...1c.1.34.serp..0.2.140.w3iBrzPh1lo

I wonder, why? If we admit that "present" is better, why are there so many examples with "representation"?

2) Two-dimensional presentations/representations of spatial structurechanges in brain bioelectric potential field
Here the situation is absolutely the same: https://www.google.ru/search?newwin....0....0...1c.1.34.serp..12.15.681.ifsog1jba3M

Why?

In that context "presentations" is correct.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In that context "presentations" is correct.

If so, could you please explain the differences of two nouns in the sentences above? Will the meaning change if I say "representations" instead of "presentations"?

Status
Not open for further replies.