• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Smile cannot hear the -ed ending

Hi everyone,

I have a trouble hearing the ed ending in sentences or phrases when the natives speak in the normal speed. I cannot hear the different between regular verbs without -ed (present form) and with -ed (past form) when they are followed by the consonants.

There are two groups that I am having the problems with.

1) the group of regular verbs ending with the unvoiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -t at the end of the word

For example:
    dropped my key
    drop my key
    asked her son
    ask her son
    baked them
    bake them
    brushed the teeth
    brush the teeth
    cooked the pizza
    cook the pizza
    picked strawberries
    pick strawberries
    talked to them
    talk to them
    dressed the uniform
    dress the uniform

2. the group of regular verbs ending with the voiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -d at the end of the word

For example:
    called doctors.
    call doctors
    explained the procedures.
    explain the procedures.
    delivered books.
    deliver books.
    played football.
    play football.
    advised parents
    advise parents
    agreed with
    agree with
    allowed students
    allow students
    answered the teacher
    answer the teacher
    appeared to me
    appear to me
    carried bags
    carry bag

I asked my native speaking friend to say the sentences with -ed and without -ed, I cannot hear the difference even I have recorded his voice and listened again and again, unless he speaks in the slow speed.

He told me sometimes its hard for him too to hear the differences between those sentences, I am not sure that he just wanted to cheer me up or its the true for the native speaker to hear the difference.

However, I can hear the -ed endings if the -ed ending regular verbs stand alone or at the end of the sentences or the -ed endings + vowel sound etc., called in (call din) or dressed up (dress dup) or the regular verbs ending with d or t such as accepted the cash (accep-tid the cash) or decided to study (deci-did to study).

At the moment I am using Natualreader website to read out the sentences that I have problems with and then record them into the audio files and repeatedly listen to them again and again but still cannot hear the differences.

Please help me to overcome this problem, any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you

iboon
    Last edited by iboon14; 08-Feb-2014 at 00:40. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: cannot hear the -ed ending

Quote Originally Posted by iboon14 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a trouble hearing the ed ending in sentences or phrases when the natives speak in the normal speed. I cannot hear the different between regular verbs without -ed (present form) and with -ed (past form) when they are followed by the consonants.

There are two groups that I am having the problems with.

1) the group of regular verbs ending with the unvoiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -t at the end of the word

For example:
    dropped my key
    drop my key
    asked her son
    ask her son
    baked them
    bake them
    brushed the teeth
    brush the teeth
    cooked the pizza
    cook the pizza
    picked strawberries
    pick strawberries
    talked to them
    talk to them
    dressed the uniform
    dress the uniform

2. the group of regular verbs ending with the voiced sound, therefore we pronounce ed ending as -d at the end of the word

For example:
    called doctors.
    call doctors
    explained the procedures.
    explain the procedures.
    delivered books.
    deliver books.
    played football.
    play football.
    advised parents
    advise parents
    agreed with
    agree with
    allowed students
    allow students
    answered the teacher
    answer the teacher
    appeared to me
    appear to me
    carried bags
    carry bag

I asked my native speaking friend to say the sentences with -ed and without -ed, I cannot hear the difference even I have recorded his voice and listened again and again, unless he speaks in the slow speed.

He told me sometimes its hard for him too to hear the differences between those sentences, I am not sure that he just wanted to cheer me up or its the true for the native speaker to hear the difference.

However, I can hear the -ed endings if the -ed ending regular verbs stand alone or at the end of the sentences or the -ed endings + vowel sound etc., called in (call din) or dressed up (dress dup) or the regular verbs ending with d or t such as accepted the cash (accep-tid the cash) or decided to study (deci-did to study).

At the moment I am using Natualreader website to read out the sentences that I have problems with and then record them into the audio files and repeatedly listen to them again and again but still cannot hear the differences.

Please help me to overcome this problem, any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thank you

iboon
    The consonant "d" can be difficult when speech is rapid. However, the "t' sound in the first group is usually not a problem. The "t" sound is usually audible. In the second group, the "d" sound can be less audible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: cannot hear the -ed ending

Quote Originally Posted by iboon14 View Post
    I have a trouble hearing the 'ed' ending in sentences or phrases when the natives speak in the normal speed.
    That's because we don't go to the trouble of articulating the final 'ed' in casual speech at normal speed when the following word begins with a consonant.

'I went into the garden and picked strawberries' sounds like ''...pick strawberries'.

We know our listener will understand from the context that 'picked' is meant.