Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2012
    • Posts: 769
    #1

    British drought

    Onward Team Murray goes toward a defense of the United States Open title, beginning next month, and then eventually to defending at Wimbledon next year with the British drought well and truly over.

    Does the underlined part have a hidden meaning. say, it means the British drought of a Wimbledon champion is finally over?
    Can I understand this way? Or does it just literally mean the drought season is over?

    Thanks!

    Jason

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: British drought

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    Onward Team Murray goes toward a defense of the United States Open title, beginning next month, and then eventually to defending at Wimbledon next year with the British drought well and truly over.

    Does the underlined part have a hidden meaning. say, it means the British drought of a Wimbledon champion is finally over?
    Can I understand this way? Or does it just literally mean the drought season is over?

    Thanks!

    Jason
    Prior to Andy Murray's victory at Wimbledon, Britain had not won the title for 77 years. That was the "drought" that was mentioned.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: British drought

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Prior to Andy Murray's victory at Wimbledon, Britain had not won the title for 77 years.
    A British player had not won the men's singles for 77 years. Virginia Wade broke a rather shorter British (both sexes) drought in 1977. But, she was only a woman, so I suppose she doesn't count.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,805
    #4

    Re: British drought

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    A British player had not won the men's singles for 77 years. Virginia Wade broke a rather shorter British (both sexes) drought in 1977. But, she was only a woman, so I suppose she doesn't count.
    I lost track of the number of times I emailed/tweeted/messaged the BBC over their claim that no Briton had won Wimbledon for 77 years. Grrrrr.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #5

    Re: British drought

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    A British player had not won the men's singles for 77 years. Virginia Wade broke a rather shorter British (both sexes) drought in 1977. But, she was only a woman, so I suppose she doesn't count.
    We were talking about Andy Murray. I thought it was obvious that the word "title" referred to "men's singles", since Andy would not have been able to compete in women's singles.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: British drought

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I thought it was obvious that the word "title" referred to "men's singles", since Andy would not have been able to compete in women's singles.
    Of course not. He might have lost, and we men could not allow that.

Similar Threads

  1. a serious/severe drought
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2012, 13:27
  2. Drought- Noun
    By Shosht in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Sep-2011, 12:57
  3. [Vocabulary] Famine and Drought
    By dlwnmbg in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2010, 09:48
  4. [Vocabulary] drought or draft
    By Rona 12 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2009, 15:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •