Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 433
    #1

    Since when are you here? / When are you here since?

    Can since be at the end of a question, the same way as other prepositions can?

    For what? What did you come here for?

    From which? Which policeman will you get this from?

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: Since when are you here? / When are you here since?

    Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    Can since be at the end of a question, the same way as other prepositions can?

    For what? What did you come here for?

    From which? Which policeman will you get this from?
    Yes. I know you guys met in grade school. Have you been close friends ever since?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 433
    #3

    Re: Since when are you here? / When are you here since?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Yes. I know you guys met in grade school. Have you been close friends ever since?
    Thank you, but I am afraid your answer did not address my question. Your example question is a closed question. I am after open questions in which 'since' is coupled with 'wh' word. 'When are you here since?' sounds odd to my, learner's ear. Is it indeed odd or perhaps even plain wrong?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: Since when are you here? / When are you here since?

    Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    Thank you, but I am afraid your answer did not address my question. Your example question is a closed question. I am after open questions in which 'since' is coupled with 'wh' word. 'When are you here since?' sounds odd to my, learner's ear. Is it indeed odd or perhaps even plain wrong?
    "When are you here since?" is just plain wrong.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #5

    Re: Since when are you here? / When are you here since?

    You might hear "What date/When have you been here since?"
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #6

    Re: Since when are you here? / When are you here since?

    Note that in ems' sentence, 'since' requires the present perfect, because it refers to a time that began in the past and goes up until the present.
    That's why your titular sentences are wrong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •