• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

... who sat down with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam [a biscuit] to ...

Hi,

This excerpt was published on Buenos Aires Herald Tribune:

"... acording to Australia's Ambassador to Argentina, Patricia Holmes, who *sat down* with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam -- her coountry's chocolate biscuit of choice -- to reflect on yet another Australia Day from afar."

As "a Tim Tam" is coordinated with "a flat white", would you please answer the following questions?

1. Couldn't find on dictionaries the meaning of "over" if one consider only the biscuit. I guess it means to sit down at some coffee place in order to enjoy the mentioned meal and that "over" is related to "a flat white" -- which I suppose is a table towel -- and, sort of poetically, to "a Tim Tam".

Is my interpretation correct? Or is "over" used as well with this specific meaning? For instance, in a phrase like "This morning I sat down with some friends over a cup of coffee"?

2. Assuming that "a flat white" really stands for a table towel, is it correct to say someone sat down *over* a table towel? Of course they didn't sit on the table. Wouldn't then "at" be the correct preposition to use?
    Last edited by Conatus; 09-Feb-2014 at 20:32.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: ... who sat down with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam [a biscuit] to

Quote Originally Posted by Conatus View Post
    Hi,

This excerpt was published on Buenos Aires Herald Tribune:

"... acording to Australia's Ambassador to Argentina, Patricia Holmes, who *sat down* with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam -- her coountry's chocolate biscuit of choice -- to reflect on yet another Australia day from afar."

As "a Tim Tam" is coordinated with "a flat white", would you please answer the following questions?

1. Couldn't find on dictionaries the meaning of "over" if you consider only the biscuit. I guess it means so sit down at a place in order to enjoy the mentioned meal and that "over" is related to "a flat white" -- which I suppose is a table towel -- and, sort of poetically, to "a Tim Tam".

Is my interpretation correct? Or is "over" used as well with this specific meaning? For instance, in a phrase like "This morning I sat down with some friends over a cup of coffe"?

2. Assuming that "flat white" really stands for table towel, is it correct to say someone sat down *over* a table towel? Of course they didn't sit on the table. Wouldn't then "at" be the correct preposition?
    Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

It's quite common to refer to "sitting down over" a coffee, beer etcetera.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: ... who sat down with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam [a biscuit] to

A flat white is coffee with milk, so they had their discussion while drinking coffee and eating biscuits.