... who sat down with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam [a biscuit] to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conatus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

This excerpt was published on Buenos Aires Herald Tribune:

"... acording to Australia's Ambassador to Argentina, Patricia Holmes, who *sat down* with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam -- her coountry's chocolate biscuit of choice -- to reflect on yet another Australia Day from afar."

As "a Tim Tam" is coordinated with "a flat white", would you please answer the following questions?

1. Couldn't find on dictionaries the meaning of "over" if one consider only the biscuit. I guess it means to sit down at some coffee place in order to enjoy the mentioned meal and that "over" is related to "a flat white" -- which I suppose is a table towel -- and, sort of poetically, to "a Tim Tam".

Is my interpretation correct? Or is "over" used as well with this specific meaning? For instance, in a phrase like "This morning I sat down with some friends over a cup of coffee"?

2. Assuming that "a flat white" really stands for a table towel, is it correct to say someone sat down *over* a table towel? Of course they didn't sit on the table. Wouldn't then "at" be the correct preposition to use?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

This excerpt was published on Buenos Aires Herald Tribune:

"... acording to Australia's Ambassador to Argentina, Patricia Holmes, who *sat down* with the Herald *over* a flat white and a Tim Tam -- her coountry's chocolate biscuit of choice -- to reflect on yet another Australia day from afar."

As "a Tim Tam" is coordinated with "a flat white", would you please answer the following questions?

1. Couldn't find on dictionaries the meaning of "over" if you consider only the biscuit. I guess it means so sit down at a place in order to enjoy the mentioned meal and that "over" is related to "a flat white" -- which I suppose is a table towel -- and, sort of poetically, to "a Tim Tam".

Is my interpretation correct? Or is "over" used as well with this specific meaning? For instance, in a phrase like "This morning I sat down with some friends over a cup of coffe"?

2. Assuming that "flat white" really stands for table towel, is it correct to say someone sat down *over* a table towel? Of course they didn't sit on the table. Wouldn't then "at" be the correct preposition?

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

It's quite common to refer to "sitting down over" a coffee, beer etcetera.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A flat white is coffee with milk, so they had their discussion while drinking coffee and eating biscuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.